Manchester United have announced Lisandro Martinez will be sidelined for an “extended period” after aggravating the foot injury he suffered towards the end of last season.
The Argentina defender sustained a fractured metatarsal in April’s Europa League quarter-final first leg against Sevilla, keeping him out for around two months.
The club said: “Lisandro Martinez will be out of action for an extended period due to an aggravation of the foot injury he suffered in April.
“The Argentinian defender experienced the setback in our Premier League game against Arsenal earlier this month.
“Martinez bravely continued playing for the following two games against Brighton and Bayern Munich.
“But it has now been determined that he needs a period on the sidelines for recovery and rehabilitation. Assessment is ongoing to decide next steps.”
United have a number of injury issues to deal with and have confirmed Sergio Reguilon will be among those absent against Crystal Palace on Saturday.
The club said: “Sergio Reguilon will also be absent from this Saturday’s Premier League game against Crystal Palace with a minor injury.”
Antony back in United training
Meanwhile, United’s Brazilian winger Antony is to return to training after allegations of domestic abuse were made against him.
It is understood the 23-year-old spoke to Greater Manchester Police on Thursday and no restrictions were placed on him following the interview.
United sources say he has provided evidence in support of his strong denials of the allegations.
He has not been arrested or charged in either Brazil or the UK.
In a statement, United said: “As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed.
“This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case.”