Manchester United are hoping for good news, having launched a huge opening offer for Frenkie de Jong, Richarlison has told Everton he wants out with three clubs in his sights, while Thursday’s Transfer Gossip has some big news on Harry Kane’s future.
RED DEVILS LAUNCH FRENKIE DE JONG BID
Manchester United have made their first official approach to Barcelona over a deal to sign Frenkie de Jong.
Erik ten Hag has identified his midfield as an area of weakness and has idenified the Dutchman as a priority signing.
The new Manchester United chief sees his former Ajax charge De Jong as the perfect addition to his side as he strives to create a winning formula at Old Trafford.
United regularly lost control of games last season, with their midfield not offering their defence enough protection.
Furthermore, De Jong is seen as a player who can strike the perfect balance between defence and attack, as well as help with ball retention.
But prising him away from Barcelona will not be easy. While the club do need to sell several stars this summer to balance the books, De Jong is one star that Xavi would like to keep.
That said, with Franck Kessie waiting to be registered, De Jong could be sold for financial reasons only.
Sensing their opportunity, United have now made their first move.
As per Marca, United’s opening offer reportedly amounts to £68.3m. That offer includes a fixed amount of £51.2m – of which a fair chunk will be paid up front.
Furthermore, United’s bid includes an additional £17.1m in achievable bonuses and incentives – taking the final fee to £68.3m.
United will hope De Jong bid is enough
Having seen Liverpool take the initiative over Darwin Nunez, United will hope their offer for De Jong is accepted. The club are in desperate need of some good news on the transfer front and the signing of De Jong will do exactly that.
Furthermore, United will be praying that Barcelona do not ask them for more cash. The midfielder is seemingly rated by Barca at around the £68m mark and that is a value United will meet with their package.
Should it be rejected, then they may need to restucture the terms of the deal.
Manchester United make Frenkie De Jong £400k a week offer
Manchester United make Frenkie De Jong offer to be the highest paid player at the club if he leaves Barcelona
All being well, though, it is a deal Barcelona will reluctantly accept. With Kessie, Sergio Busquets, Pedri and Gavi on the books, they are well served for centra midfielders.
As such, it will be little surprise to see De Jong sacrificed.
The next hurdle to overcome, however, will be in convincing him to sign. The midfielder has previously aired grievances about a familiar issue potential signings have about life in Manchester.
RICHARLISON TO SNUB ARSENAL MOVE IN FAVOUR OF CHELSEA
Richarlison has told Everton he plans to quit Goodison this summer – and has three clubs he wishes to join.
The Brazilian star came to the fore when the Toffees needed him most at the back end of the 2021/22 season. With Frank Lampard’s men staring relegation in the face, Richarlison scored six goals in Everton’s final nine games to help them pull clear.
However, his time at Everton looks to be drawing to a close with the player seemingly unhappy at their lack of progress.
He has been strongly linked with Manchester United and Arsenal. Indeed, the Gunners in particular are reportedly keen to bring him to Emirates Stadium as they chase a new striker.
The Sun, though, claims Richarlison has no intention of joining the Gunners.
Furthermore, they claim the forward has three clubs in his sights as he ponders his next club with Chelsea, PSG or Real Madrid his picks.
The interest in moving to Chelsea is especially intriguing. The article states they are the only other English side Richarlison would consider joining.
The status of the trio as Champions League clubs is another obvious appeal.
One thing that is clear, though, is his intentions to quit Everton.
The report claims Everton will demand a fee in the region of £65m to let the attacker leave.
TOTTENHAM CONTRACT FOR LIFE FOR HARRY KANE
Harry Kane is now so settled at Tottenham that he could commit to a contract there for the rest of his career.
This time last year, Kane was embroiled in massive interest from Manchester City. They made two huge bids to prise him away from Spurs; offers that chairman Daniel Levy simply flat-batted away.
A year on and Tottenham are back in the Champions League and under the command of elite coach Antonio Conte.
Kane has two years on his current deal and the Mail claims talks over an extension are yet to start.
But they claim there is a growing belief around Spurs that Kane is ready to sign a bumper new deal. And at 28, any new deal now could see him tie himself to Tottenham for the remainder of his career.
Kane is currently away on England duty, having reached 50 goals for his country in Tuesday’s draw in Germany.
Next up is a clash with Italy. And Kane needs just four more goals to become his country’s all-time top scorer.
Amid claims he could be rested, though, Kane insists he’s ready to play.
“I want to play every game possible, he (Southgate) knows that for sure,” he said.