Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer has urged the club to bring in three new players in January to help them remain in the Premier League.
The Magpies have newly-found riches following their £305m takeover earlier this month. They are now majority owned by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund (PIF), which is worth an astonishing £320bn.
The news was celebrated in Newcastle as it meant Mike Ashley’s troublesome reign as owner came to an end. It could also take the club up the league table and potentially back into Europe.
But first they need to get away from the relegation zone. Steve Bruce was sacked last week after a poor start to the campaign. The Magpies are yet to pick up a win after nine rounds of Premier League matches.
The January transfer window could prove vital if the Tyneside outfit are to remain in the top flight. And Shearer reckons they need to spend money on three positions to do just that.
The former goalscorer told the Que Golazo Youtube channel: “I expect some action [in January] – absolutely. If that weren’t to happen, then NUFC would be in big trouble.
“The owners have said there is money to spend – but Newcastle fans, pundits and former players, we’re all going to have to be very patient because it’s not going to happen overnight, or a month, it’s going to take a long time.
“It’s going to be a certain type of player first and foremost to get Newcastle out of the relegation zone.
Newcastle join Arsenal in the race for Dominic Calvert Lewin
Arsenal have bene joined in the race for Dominic Calvert-Lewin by Newcastle according to reports, with more news on Dusan Vlahovic and Ousmane Dembele.
“Then to entertain, players who are solid and committed to the football club and are prepared to give everything.
“There will be players who will be desperate to come to Newcastle to prove themselves and to improve the squad because that is, without doubt, is what is needed. We could do with players straight down the spine.
“They’ve been poor defensively – they need a defender or two [and] certainly a creative midfielder.
“And with Callum Wilson, his career will tell you he will pick up injuries and won’t play every game. So they need another forward to put the ball in the back of the net to try and take the burden away from him for when he is and isn’t playing.
“So three players without a doubt – a centre-half, a creative midfielder and a forward.”
Newcastle already have two solutions lined up. They are hoping to sign Wolves skipper Conor Coady to improve their backline. The England international would cost in excess of £20m.
In attack, they look set to compete with West Ham for Arsenal’s Alexandre Lacazette. The Frenchman is out of contract in June which means a January switch is likely.
Barca set contract deadline for Newcastle target
The Magpies are said to be looking at Barcelona winger Ousmane Dembele. The 24-year-old has struggled in La Liga but could do a job in the Prem if he can stay fit.
Newcastle are among the clubs prepared to give Dembele another chance. Liverpool are also in the hunt for his services.
Goal, citing reports in the Spanish press, claim that Barca have given the star a month to sign a new contract.
If he refrains from doing so then he will be eligible to leave for free when his contract expires on July 1.