Newcastle confirm record transfer deal done for Alexander Isak; Eddie Howe ‘reluctant’ to lose keeper

Alexander Isak, Real Madrid v Real Sociedad March 2022

Newcastle have completed a club-record £58m swoop for Sweden international striker Alexander Isak, while Eddie Howe remains “very reluctant” to lose goalkeeper Martin Dubravka.

The Magpies have confirmed the signing of 22-year-old frontman Isak has signed from Real Sociedad for an undisclosed fee. The deal is believed to be close to £60m and it smashes the previous record transfer for Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton.

Isak, who has scored 44 goals in 132 games for Sociedad, has put pen to paper on a “long-term” deal.

A club statement said: “Newcastle United are delighted to announce the signing of Alexander Isak for an undisclosed fee. The 6’4” striker arrives from Real Sociedad and has signed a long-term deal at St. James’ Park.”

The PA report Isak has signed a six-year deal, but it’s unclear whether he was registered in time to face Wolves on Sunday.

“I’m delighted to have it done,” said Isak. “It was a big, big decision for me but it is a decision I am really happy with.

“It is a great, historical club that I think anyone would like to play for, with amazing fans. They were a big part of why I came here – and also the club’s project, which is one that I really believe in.

“You always want to go into a team and know how they play. Newcastle play very attractive football and I want to be a part of that.”

Howe, who had been targeting attacking reinforcements before Wilson’s latest injury, said: “I’m very excited that Alexander has chosen to join us. He is an outstanding talent who is capable of making a big contribution to the team.

“He is technically very good, with a mix of attributes that will complement us. But he is also at a great age to grow with this club.

“I want to thank the club’s owners and transfer committee for bringing Alexander to Newcastle. We are all delighted to have him on board.

Dubravka latest

“Naturally with Callum’s injury – which we don’t believe to be serious, by the way, we’re hopeful that Callum will only be out for a couple of weeks – but naturally we reacted slightly off that in terms of we were always looking for an attacking player, but it changed our focus maybe slightly on the type.

“But we’re delighted to hopefully sign Alex, who will be a big player for us.”

Howe also commented on reports linking keeper Dubravka with a move to Manchester United. New summer signing Nick Pope has displaced the Slovakia international as number one at St James’ Park. And United have since been mentioned as suitors and Hows says there has been “contact”.

He added: “I don’t think he’s in talks with Manchester United. There has been contact between the clubs. But that will be something that will continue probably, to happen, as in the discussions.

“But in terms of an actual final outcome. I’m very reluctant to lose any important players to the group, so that’s a decision that will be out of my hands.”