Allan Saint-Maximin rates chances of Newcastle exit, with ‘several big clubs’ in for him

Allan Saint-Maximin in action for Newcastle during Premier League game v Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

Newcastle winger Allan Saint-Maximin has revealed ‘several big clubs’ are interested in his signature after rating his chances of staying at St James’ Park.

The Frenchman, who mainly operates on the left flank, is on five goals and four assists from 34 matches this campaign. He is currently enduring a barren spell, as his last goal came in the 1-1 draw with Watford in January.

Saint-Maximin did pick up an assist during Newcastle’s 3-0 victory over Norwich recently. But he will be hoping to get back on the scoresheet when the Magpies travel to Manchester City on Sunday afternoon.

Reports from the last few months have named Saint-Maximin as a target for Premier League trio Aston Villa, Everton and Wolves.

Newcastle chiefs sanctioning a departure would cause uproar among the club’s supporters. Saint-Maximin was one of their brightest sparks during a tough spell under Steve Bruce.

Plus, Newcastle now have huge financial power thanks to their takeover. This means they don’t need to sell their best players to bring new stars in.

During an interview with Goal, Saint-Maximin was asked about his future. He remains loyal to the Tyneside outfit, although clubs are certainly on his trail.

“To be honest, right now I don’t see myself leaving Newcastle,” the attacker said.

Several big clubs approached me, says Allan Saint-Maximin

“After that, there are a lot of things that can change. Several big clubs approached me for a future transfer.

“These are clubs that did not come for me when I was in Nice. Newcastle came at a very important time in my career. They gave me a lot of confidence. I am a very grateful person.

“That’s why, moreover, even at times when it could be very complicated for the club, like last season, I decided not to leave so that I had the chance. I feel good here.”

Saint-Maximin raised eyebrows earlier this week. He spoke honestly about Liverpool star Sadio Mane, as well as the ability of his fellow Newcastle attackers.

“Those who have played with me know very well that in terms of pure quality, I have nothing to envy to Sadio Mane,” he said.

“The day when I have a player capable of finishing the actions, I will make seasons with 10-15 assists, and I will change dimension in the people’s heads.”

Perhaps Saint-Maximin is trying to make up for these comments by pledging his allegiance to Newcastle.

It certainly seems he will spend the next few years with the Magpies. The 25-year-old’s contract runs until 2026, meaning Newcastle don’t have to sell any time soon.

However, club officials will be hoping he can improve his output in front of goal next season.

READ MORE: Newcastle transfer latest – Joelinton named as one of three stars set for summer exit