Newcastle United

Newcastle United

Premier League • England

Newcastle learn price needed to fend off Barcelona and win race for highly rated midfield talent

Newcastle target Andrey Santos

Newcastle United have reportedly found out how much they will need to pay to sign Andrey Santos from Vasco da Gama, amid Barcelona also hoping to land him.

After previously being linked with Wolves, it is now Newcastle who are the main Premier League suitors for Santos. The Magpies have been impressed by his top midfield displays in the Brazilian second tier.

Santos has already played 27 times – and scored five goals – for Vasco da Gama, despite being just 18 years of age.

He looks set for a bright future and the Brazilian minnows are unlikely to keep him from the clutches of European sides.

Barcelona have long been keeping tabs on his development. They have already have several teenage talents in midfield, including Pedri and Gavi. But it seems Xavi wants another starlet added to his ranks.

According to a recent report from Brazilian outlet TNT Sports, Santos has just signed a new five-year contract with his current club.

Vasco da Gama chiefs see him as ‘one of the great jewels’ in their team, which explains the fresh terms.

Despite the extension, Newcastle, Barca and Flamengo have all made contact about Santos’ availability. The trio are beginning to push for his signature, in the hope this will convince Vasco da Gama to eventually sell.

Newcastle told big Andrey Santos price

Brazilian source Terra provide some extra information on the young ace, as cited by Goal. They claim Newcastle have put a £30.1m (€35m) bid on the table.

This is a huge sum for an 18-year-old with no top-flight experience, or even any experience in a European league.

But Vasco da Gama rate Santos so highly that they have rejected the offer. Newcastle have been told they will need to pay his full release clause to win the transfer race.

As part of the new contract, this stands at £43m (€50m). Santos moving to St James’ Park for this amount would see him become Newcastle’s second most expensive signing, behind £60m striker Alexander Isak.

Newcastle are more likely to pay this sum than Barca. This is because the Spanish outfit have struggled with debt in recent months. They had to let numerous players go in the summer just to register their new arrivals.

Newcastle, in contrast, have the richest owners in world football. But Eddie Howe’s side probably won’t match Santos’ release clause either, and there are a few reasons why.

Firstly, Newcastle chiefs want to achieve success but by doing it sensibly. This explains the captures of Sven Botman, Kieran Trippier, Bruno Guimaraes and Isak.

Santos is just 18, which means it would be crazy to spend £43m on him. After all, they only had to part with £40m to bring in Guimaraes and Joelinton, who had far more experience when joining.

Another factor to consider is Newcastle’s strong options in the centre of the pitch. Howe can already utilise Guimaraes, Joelinton, Joe Willock and Sean Longstaff there. And Jonjo Shelvey is hoping to feature in the second half of the campaign, once he recovers from hamstring surgery.

These players being in the squad means Newcastle have little need to capture Santos next year.

Meanwhile, Wednesday’s Transfer Gossip provides the latest on Douglas Luiz, amid Arsenal’s push to take him to north London.