Newcastle United

Newcastle United

Premier League • England

Newcastle clinch ‘total agreement’ over knockdown fee for next signing with medical due within 24 hours

Anthony Gordon and Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Newcastle United have reached an agreement to sign Anthony Gordon from Everton, according to a reporter who has revealed how much they will be paying for the winger.

Gordon has been linked with an exit from Everton in the two most recent transfer windows. In the summer, he was the subject of interest from Chelsea, while Newcastle were in the background, but he ended up staying at Goodison Park. This month, though, he has been catching the attention of other clubs again.

Now, Newcastle have become his main suitors, although they have been working hard to reduce Everton’s asking price. Recently, there were claims they would have to pay up to £60million to lure him to St. James’ Park.

However, new information this week has suggested that Everton’s stance on Gordon’s value may be softening. The 21-year-old missed three consecutive days of training, before returning to Finch Farm on Friday.

He brought bad news with him for his current employers, though. Indeed, Sky Sports has reported that Gordon has told Everton he wants to leave.

And the same outlet is now revealing that Newcastle have made a breakthrough regarding Gordon’s transfer fee. According to their reporter Keith Downie, there is now a “total agreement” between the two clubs.

Downie has tweeted that Newcastle will be paying £45million for Gordon. The write-up on Sky Sports‘ website clarifies that the initial payment will be of £40m, before a potential further £5m in add-ons.

Medical imminent for winger

Evidently, Newcastle have managed to secure themselves a reduction on what Everton were originally hoping to gain from Gordon’s transfer.

Now, according to Downie, the England under-21 international should be on his way to Tyneside to undergo a medical with Newcastle within the next 24 hours.

In turn, he could become Newcastle’s first signing of the January transfer window for the here and now. They did formally sign Garang Kuol earlier in the month, but soon loaned him out to Hearts.

Gordon is another attacker who can develop at Newcastle in the long term. And according to Fabrizio Romano, who has backed up Downie’s claims, personal terms have now been agreed for a lengthy stay in the north east.

Hence, it is a case of “here we go” for Romano, who has used his signature catchphrase to confirm this move is going to happen.

Anthony Gordon making big move but pressure is on

It will be the first permanent transfer of Gordon’s career after he came through the Everton academy and previously spent time on loan with Preston North End.

By leaving Everton for Newcastle, he will be going from a relegation battle to competing for European qualification. Capable of playing anywhere across the attack, he will hope to make himself useful to Eddie Howe.

Even though Newcastle have managed to drive down Everton’s asking price, there may still be some concerns about whether Gordon will be worth the money.

He has only scored three goals from 18 appearances across all competitions this season, and seven from 78 across his Everton career. That said, he has been playing for a struggling team.

With better players around him, Gordon might be able to raise his game. But he will have to earn his place in an in-form team and the pressure will be on.

READ MORENewcastle make approach for Brazilian winger putting Barcelona misery behind him in best goalscoring season