Newcastle United are planning to make an improved bid to sign Brighton & Hove Albion defender Dan Burn, claims a report.
Eddie Howe’s focus has switched to a centre-back after landing Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood. The Magpies have been linked with a number of options. So far Howe’s efforts to sign Diego Carlos, Sven Botman and James Tarkowski have all fallen short.
As such, reports on Wednesday morning claimed Newcastle had submitted an offer to sign 6ft 7in Burn. But the £8m offer to the Seagulls for the 29-year-old was turned down.
But now the Daily Mail claim Newcastle will return with a revised offer.
Just how much Newcastle will go to is unclear, but anywhere over the £10m mark will surely leave Graham Potter with a decision to make.
Brighton signed Burn in 2018 for £4m, so they would make a healthy profit on the player if they decided to sell this month.
Burn has made 13 Premier League appearances this season after struggling with a knee problem. He is also under contract for just 18 months, with his deal up in June 2023.
But Potter is an admirer of Burn, who can also play at left-back.
Burn is a Geordie
“As I always say, Dan [Burn] does it with a top attitude and 100% professionalism,” Potter said recently.
And he has been in awe of a player, who moved through the levels quickly over the last few years.
“Burn, a couple of years ago, was at Wigan in League One,” Potter said, via The Argus. “Rather than being critical of Dan Burn, we should be proud of him. He puts himself there, he gives his best every day, gives his best every match.
“It’s easy to be critical in this world and he is a fantastic professional, a fantastic person.”
The Magpies though, who are training in Saudi Arabia, are determined to end their transfer hunt on a high. And Blyth-born Burn, who is a boyhood Newcastle fan, may well have his heart set on returning north.