Discarded option keen to reopen Newcastle talks, as two-man boss short-list mooted

Date published: Wednesday 3rd November 2021 6:10 - Matthew Briggs

Gennaro Gattuso, Paulo Fonseca TEAMtalk

Paulo Fonseca “remains interested” in the Newcastle United manager’s role after Unai Emery officially turned down the job on Wednesday.

Fonseca was approached by the Magpies last month after the departure of Steve Bruce. Sky Sports reported that talks with the 48-year took place. However, a move never transpired and Unai Emery soon became Newcastle’s top target.

Emery though officially turned down the offer from Newcastle on Wednesday. The former Arsenal boss released a statement saying that he felt “grateful” for Newcastle’s interest, but “even more grateful” to be part of Villarreal.

That has left Newcastle to go back to the drawing board with The Telegraph, saying former Bournemouth head coach Eddie Howe is now at the top of the club’s shortlist.

However, Sky Sports News suggest Fonseca is still keen on the Toon job.

The broadcaster claim that Fonseca “would welcome further discussions with the Newcastle owners regarding the post”.

Whether or not Newcastle will revisit the talks for former Roma boss Fonseca is unclear.

But the club’s new owners, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), will be hamstrung by the fact that they are inexperienced in dealing with football matters.

 

The club are yet to appoint a director of football or sporting director.

Managing director Lee Charnley was responsible for transfers previously, but left with old owner Mike Ashley.

It’s understood director Amanda Staveley has been dealing with football matters. But she was unable to get a deal for Emery over the line.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Two-man short-list

Sky reporter Keith Downie said: “There’s been many names being spoken about which is fair because I don’t think the consortium pinpointed one particular man to take over.

 

“Rafa Benitez is now in charge of Everton. So I feel they have a shortlist now which includes Roberto Martinez, the Belgium head coach, and Eddie Howe, who’d be a more simple transaction given he’s out of work.

“Both have worked with Graeme Jones, who has been told he will be staying on as an assistant. So you could see either of those two working.

“The former Roma manager Fonseca we reported two weeks ago as having had talks. And we understand he’d be keen to reignite those talks but it’s back to the drawing board for Newcastle United.”

READ MORE: Newcastle strike first to leave Man Utd, Chelsea labouring over statement signing

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM