Newcastle enter contract discussions with top star after Liverpool, Chelsea, Real Madrid begin plotting summer raid
Newcastle United have begun contract talks with influential midfielder Bruno Guimaraes amid interest from Liverpool, Chelsea and Real Madrid, according to a report.
Guimaraes joined Newcastle from French side Lyon in January last year. His signing helped to show that Newcastle had entered the market to sign top players following their big-money takeover, as he had chosen to leave a Europa League club for a team who were battling relegation.
Guimaraes soon became a fan-favourite at St James’ Park. He established himself as one of their most important players and scored five times to help the Magpies stay in the top flight.
The Brazil international has continued his impressive form this term. He has helped Newcastle fight for a top-four spot and also reach the Carabao Cup final. They lost to Manchester United at Wembley on Sunday.
Guimaraes’ big impact since moving to the Premier League has resulted in interest from some major teams. According to Spanish outlet Defensa Central, Real will pursue him if they fail to capture Jude Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund.
And as per an update from Brazilian source iG Esporte, Newcastle’s English rivals Liverpool and Chelsea are also keeping tabs on Guimaraes.
READ MORE: Sky Sports man labels five-goal Prem teenager wanted by Tottenham, Newcastle a ‘special talent’
But Newcastle fans should not worry too much. In January, transfer insider Graeme Bailey told TEAMtalk that Guimaraes will soon be rewarded for his exceptional performances with a new contract. Newcastle recognise how crucial the 25-year-old is to their success and are planning to offer him a pay rise.
And iG Esporte state that those contract talks have now got underway. Their report echoes Bailey’s comments by revealing Guimaraes will receive a ‘good salary increase’ as part of his new deal. The report does not reveal exactly how much Guimaraes will earn, though Spotrac claim he currently takes home £120,000 a week.
Newcastle star in line for lucrative new deal
Guimaraes will also have his contract extended beyond 2026, which is when his current terms expire.
There is an expectation that Newcastle will have Guimaraes’ new deal sorted way before the summer transfer window. This should help the club to put off his potential suitors from launching bids.
Guimaraes fully deserves the pay increase he is in line for. He has been a transformative figure in the Newcastle midfield, doing everything from scoring goals at one end to making last-ditch tackles at the other.
He tends to shine alongside players such as Joelinton, Joe Willock and Sean Longstaff in the centre of the pitch.
Guimaraes’ new contract is not the only one Newcastle could do with sorting in the near future. Callum Wilson, Fabian Schar and Dan Burn are all due to become free agents in summer 2024.
The trio have all played their role in helping Eddie Howe’s side challenge for Champions League qualification this season. So while they are all over 30 years old, they definitely deserve one more Newcastle contract before potentially retiring.
Meanwhile, an England star has been told he would be ‘mad’ to reject Newcastle’s advances in the summer.