Fabrizio Romano reveals what went wrong for £30m Newcastle transfer that was ‘absolutely agreed’

Watford Joao Pedro, Liverpool Virgil van Dijk

Everything was in place for Joao Pedro to join Newcastle United in the summer, according to Fabrizio Romano – who has explained why the deal collapsed.

Newcastle tried to sign Pedro from Watford during the summer transfer window. They came very close to doing so, until the deal fell through. Pedro was then the subject of interest from Everton, but has gone on to sign a contract extension with Watford until 2028.

The Championship side will have to fend off a lot of interest in him before then. For now, though, they can be glad they kept hold of Pedro for the foreseeable future.

It could have been a different story if Newcastle had changed their priorities. Transfer expert Romano has now revealed why Pedro never got to make the move to St James’ Park, despite a financial agreement between the two clubs.

Romano told Chronicle Live: “From what I know, the Joao Pedro deal between Newcastle and Watford was 100% agreed on that Monday. There was a verbal agreement and everything was fine.

“Joao Pedro was already planning for a medical. He received a communication for a medical in London in the following days. It would have been the first part of the medical, with the second part in Newcastle.

“Everything was ready. They had an agreement for £25million plus £5million in add-ons. There was also an agreement on the sell-on clause. So everything was ready and verbally agreed.

“There was a meeting with Gino Pozzo, the player’s agent and intermediaries involved. Everything was ready and the only thing they were waiting for was the final approval from Newcastle to sign the documents.

“This is why I said here we go because it was absolutely agreed, and I’m 100% sure of what I’m saying.”

Romano reveals how Newcastle put Joao Pedro deal aside

Ultimately, Newcastle broke their transfer record to sign a different striker – Alexander Isak.

According to Romano, the Sweden international was their priority all along. Hence, when he became gettable, they put their interest in Pedro on the backburner.

The reporter continued: “The main target for Newcastle for a long time was Alexander Isak and he was not available for more than two months. Newcastle had been following him since March or April time, and Real Sociedad always said no.

“But after that they changed their position. They knew about the Joao Pedro deal and decided to change their position on Isak to make him available.

Newcastle decided to go for their priority target and to keep the Joao Pedro situation open for two or three days, so they were still discussing with the agents and with Watford. But at the end, they decided on Isak and the deal collapsed.”

Still only 20 years old, there is plenty of time ahead for Pedro to take the next step in his career.

Romano believes other clubs will be taking note of his potential and keeping him in mind as a possible target.

He concluded: “Everything was verbally agreed and who know what happens in the future?

“Newcastle really wanted Joao Pedro, and I’m sure there will be many other clubs now joining the race.”

Since joining Watford, Pedro has contributed 15 goals and seven assists from 83 appearances.

READ MOREMan Utd, Newcastle transfer boost as UCL giants drop out of chase for deadly striker; one big hurdle remains