Jose Mourinho goes public and tells Newcastle United owners straight over boss talk

Date published: Wednesday 20th October 2021 7:45 - Matthew Briggs

Jose Mourinho Roma October 2021

Roma coach Jose Mourinho has given a quick statement of his intentions on Wednesday night after being linked with the Newcastle job.

The former Manchester United, Chelsea and Spurs boss sent speculation into overdrive on Sunday when he was asked about the Toon job. The 58-year-old simply fanned the flames of taking the Newcastle job after the club’s £305m takeover.

Mourinho told a press conference (via Goal): “On Newcastle, I don’t have anything to say. Absolutely nothing to say.

“The only thing I can say is that for many, many years, I worked with one of the most important figures in the history of Newcastle, Sir Bobby Robson, and so because of that I have always had a bit of an emotional connection with that city and that fanbase. But it’s nothing more than that.”

That “emotional connection” may well have been explored by the powers that be at St James’ Park. However, the club’s new owners, the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund (PIF), have been told straight now by the Portuguese coach.

Mourinho told Sky Sport Italia: “Newcastle job? I’ve decided to stay, I’m not leaving. I signed for three years project with Roma and I’m not gonna leave my players.

The Newcastle hot-seat only officially became free on Wednesday after Steve Bruce was finally shown the door.

Bruce, who has endured a torrent of abuse whilst at the helm on Tyneside, has opened up on the mental effect the job has had on him and his family.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


£8m compensation package for Bruce

For the record, Bruce left by “mutual consent” with his contract paid up in full, according to the BBC.

 

Bruce had been at the helm since the summer of 2019 when he took over from the departing Rafa Benitez.

The manager signed a three-year deal with his hometown club and is now in line for around £8m in compensation.

The 60-year-old took charge of his 1,000th match as a manager in Sunday’s 3-2 defeat by Tottenham.

“There have been highs and lows. But they have given everything even in difficult moments and should be proud of their efforts,” said Bruce.

“This is a club with incredible support and I hope the new owners can take it forward to where we all want it to be. I wish everyone the very best of luck for the rest of this season and beyond.”

Former Newcastle captain Alan Shearer paid tribute to Bruce.

He wrote on Twitter: “I know how tough it was for any manager at Newcastle for the last 14 years.

“I also know how badly Steve & his family wanted it to work. In difficult circumstances for everybody, he kept #NUFC up for two seasons.

“It’s a new era now, but thank you, Steve, for your effort & commitment.”

READ MORE: €15m signing-on bonus documented, as Barcelona star ‘open’ to Newcastle transfer

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM