Newcastle launch ‘super offer’ to leave Man Utd bid to sign prolific Argentinian striker in tatters
Newcastle are reportedly firmly in the mix to sign Julian Alvarez after tabling what is described as a “huge offer” for the in-demand River Plate striker.
The 21-year-old is fast emerging as one of the world’s most in-demand strikers, having netted 18 goals in 21 games this season. His strike-rate just falls short of that standards being set by Erling Haaland and Dusan Vlahovic. However, unlike his peers, Alvarez does not come with a gigantic transfer fee attached.
Indeed, reports claim Alvarez is able to leave River Plate for the bargain price of €20m – just £17m.
And with his deal at River Plate expiring in 2023, the Argentine side are open to the exit of the five-times capped striker now.
That has, understandly, piqued the interest of a number of high-profile clubs, all looking to snap him up.
Aston Villa were among the first to be linked, while Tottenham are also reportedly taking a close look.
Then reports last week claimed it was Manchester United in the driving seat for his signature with his agent flying in for transfer talks.
Newcastle eyeing Julian Alvarez raid
However, reports on Monday now claim it is Newcastle United leading the Premier League interest. As per Gazzetta dello Sport(via Sport Witness), the Magpies have launched what’s described as a ‘super offer’ for his services.
Newcastle want Arsenal striker Aubameyang in January
Newcastle want Aubameyang in January as they look to survive the drop
They are reportedly willing to offer the striker a huge contract to snub interest from other clubs in favour of St James’ Park.
However, Newcastle’s bid may not be enough to win the race with Inter Milan and AC Milan reportedly also in touch with Alvarez’s agent.
Furthermore, while Alvarez is said to be giving thought to Newcastle’s offer, a move to Serie A appears more likely.
Indeed, il Gazzetta claims the striker only wants to sign for a ‘top club’ who can offer him European football.
Newcastle hopes for Aubameyang
The Magpies, though, do appear focused on signing a new striker this month and are also tracking Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Reports claim that Newcastle have contacted Arsenal over his availability. They want to propose a loan deal until the end of the season with a view to a permanent, £20million transfer.
Aubameyang remains frozen out by Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta following a disciplinary breach in December. As such, his future in north London is unclear.
According to Tony Cascarino, though, the fact that Aubameyang has been dropped shows exactly why Newcastle – who need everyone on the same page to fight relegation – should not sign him.
“He’s someone who is not in the Arsenal first-team, let’s get that right,” Cascarino told talkSPORT.
“Do you want a player who is going to show commitment, running, doing all the ugly stuff in the game? That’s what you’re going to need to survive. Does he do that very well? I’d say that’s the worst part of his game.
“Is he a quality footballer that can turn a game in a moment? At his best, yes. But when has he last done that regularly? Not very often this season, even towards the end of last season.”
READ MORE: Newcastle urged to complete ‘statement’ £30m signing, but major stumbling block appears