Newcastle United

Newcastle United

Premier League • England

‘Definitely not’ – Sources insist expected Newcastle defender signing has ‘collapsed’

Mitchel Bakker playing for Netherlands under-21s

Negotiations for Newcastle United to sign Bayer Leverkusen left-back Mitchel Bakker have broken down, according to the same source that said a deal was close over the weekend.

Bakker has been one of the players Newcastle have been looking at to strengthen in defence this January. Their first signing of the Saudi era was right-back Kieran Trippier and Bakker was shortlisted to bolster the ranks on the opposite side of the backline.

The Netherlands under-21 international only joined Leverkusen in the summer. So far, he has provided one goal and four assists from 16 games for the Bundesliga side.

However, Newcastle’s new owners have the financial power to tempt them into a quick profit.

Therefore, the Telegraph reported over the weekend that the basics of a deal were done with the Bundesliga side.

They are now claiming, though, that the transfer is off the table. Their update is unambiguous; they claim to have been updated by a source that Bakker’s touted move will “definitely not happen”.

They do not disclose the reasons as to why, but the fact that they said personal terms were still to be determined in their weekend update may suggest it is something from Bakker’s side.

Mitchel Bakker ready for Newcastle switch

Dutch left back Mitchel Bakker is ready to leave Bayer Leverkusen for Newcastle this week

Whatever the reason, talks “collapsed” on Monday, prompting a rethink of the Magpies’ transfer plans.

Bakker is under contract with Leverkusen until 2025. It seems any hopes Newcastle had of ending that arrangement early are now over.

Newcastle ramp up pursuit of Bakker alternative

Incidentally, reports elsewhere indicate their pursuit of Atalanta full-back Robin Gosens is back on.

Gosens is a Germany international who can operate as a full-back, wing-back or wide midfielder on the left flank. He was in impressive form during 2020-21, scoring 11 goals and registering six assists in 32 Serie A matches.

Gosens featured in Atalanta’s first six games of the current campaign and opened his account with a goal in September’s 2-1 win over Sassuolo.

He has been out with a hamstring injury since October, although a move to the Premier League could still take place.

According to Sky Sport Italia, the Magpies have an agreement in place with Gosens over personal terms. They now need to finalise a deal with Atalanta.

Corriere dello Sport claim Newcastle have made an attempt to do just that.

They put €30m (£25m) on the table but had it ‘returned to sender’ by the Bergamo club.

Despite this, Newcastle remain hopeful of landing 27-year-old Gosens and are preparing a second offer. The report doesn’t reveal how much this will be worth. But it is likely to be over the €35m (£29.3m) mark.

READ MORENewcastle to follow Diego Carlos deal with capture of £32m man on Tottenham wish list