Steve Bruce’s future hangs in balance, as new Newcastle chairman heads for St James’ Park

Date published: Thursday 14th October 2021 1:30 - Matthew Briggs

Yasir-Al-Rumayyan Newcastle chairman

TEAMtalk understands that Newcastle United fans are set to get a first look at their new chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan this weekend.

Al-Rumayyan is Newcastle’s new non-executive chairman following the takeover by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund last week.

The £300m deal ended Mike Ashley’s 14-year tenure and sees Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund take an 80% stake. The remaining 20% is held by PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media.

However, since the takeover, Al-Rumayyan, 51, who is is the head of the Public Investment Fund’, has not been seen in England.

Now, we understand that the plan is for him to arrive in the country before the weekend ahead of being present at their clash with Tottenham.

PIF’s buyout of Mile Ashley was greeted with huge celebrations in the city and Al-Rumayyan’s presence is sure to be greeted with open arms by the Geordie faithful.

In fact the St James’ Park clash with Spurs is sold out.

The club confirmed: “Amid a hugely exciting week for the club, the final remaining seats – including a limited number of hospitality tickets – sold out on Friday morning.”

The new regime have yet to pull the plug on boss Steve Bruce’s tenure. Bruce, 60, is in line to take charge of his 1000th game against Tottenham this weekend and many expected him to be axed earlier this week.


Wrong time, wrong place: Salah, Vardy and Ronaldo the picks of this crazy offer


Bruce talks

The former Man Utd defender is hanging on to his job, despite a meeting with the new owners on Monday.

Amanda Staveley, the director and minority stakeholder who is responsible for running Newcastle on a day-to-day basis, met Bruce earlier this week.

Staveley and her husband, Mehrdad Ghodoussi, were pictured shaking hands and chatting with players including Jamaal Lascelles and Allan Saint-Maximin. They stayed for around 90 minutes and are understood to have spoken to Bruce.

The likes of Brendan Rodgers, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, and Lucien Favre have all been linked with the post this week. Although Leicester boss Rodgers is reported to have no interest in jumping ship.

READ MORE: Newcastle owners have ally of Jose Mourinho on short-list for transformative role, insist Sky Sports

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM