Outspoken agent reacts to transfer claim for Newcastle building block

Date published: Thursday 28th October 2021 4:39 - Samuel Bannister

The agent of Miguel Almiron has denied rumours that the attacking midfielder could be sacrificed by Newcastle United’s new owners.

After taking control of the club, the Saudi-backed consortium have a huge challenge on their hands. They must oversee a major rebuild of the playing squad if they are to first avoid relegation this season and then challenge in the higher echelons of the table in the future.

There have already been plenty of rumours about the calibre of players that could come in. But on the flipside, several members of the current squad are now facing uncertain futures.

Many will not meet the level Newcastle are now aspiring to. Others will be keen to show they are ones to build around and can mix in with the top talent the club are hoping to attract.

One player who finds himself caught up in something of a dilemma is Almiron. He joined Newcastle from Atlanta United in January 2019 in what was then a club-record transfer.

He has since made 100 appearances for the club, contributing 13 goals and five assists. The Paraguay international is yet to directly contribute to a goal from nine appearances so far this season, though.

Still one of the more influential members of the Magpies squad, he will either be someone to build around or someone the new owners could cash in on to clear space for other arrivals.

A recent report in Spain suggested Almiron had become a target for Elche in La Liga in view of next summer, given that PIF could move him on.

But agent Daniel Campos – who has never been quiet when it comes to Almiron – has now told Versus Radio in Paraguay that he is unaware of such an option. Instead, he is faithful that his client will be a key part of the long-term Newcastle project.

“I also read it, but the truth is that it has no basis, no foundation,” Campos said in quotes translated by online outlet Sport Witness. “We know absolutely nothing, but I see it as totally unlikely.

“Almiron has two-and-a-half years left on his contract. Let’s see if he comes out, because in principle he would form the basis of the reconstruction of Newcastle with a few other boys. In the next few days, we will talk to the new people to see what the plans are.”

Almiron agent makes Newcastle prediction

Miguel Almiron TEAMtalk

Given the number of Newcastle transfer links that have emerged since their takeover, competition for places could soon become crowded at St James’ Park.

But Campos is confident that Almiron will not be pushed aside while Newcastle build for the future.

At the same time, he believes the club could become competitive at the top end of the table within just two years.

“They can’t buy all the players at once,” Campos insisted. “It took PSG three years to assemble the team.

“The only thing they (players) hear is versions and nothing else.

“New people took over, but the new coaching staff has not yet come. Nothing more, expectations, no one has spoken with them.

“I think they are going to build a great base to fight in two years or so.”

READ MOREEXCLUSIVE: Newcastle owners PIF establish £400m investment plan amid PSG talks

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM