Newcastle United will comfortably resist any offers that come their way for star man Allan Saint-Maximin amid talk of fresh interest from one of their Premier League rivals.
The French winger, brought to St James’ Park in summer 2019 from Nice, has emerged as a player of genuine quality in recent times. Before their Saudi Arabian takeover, he was the one star of genuine quality whom every turned to. And now, in their bright new era, he remains a symbol of the club and still their prized asset.
Indeed, Saint-Maximin has five goals and three assists in the Premier League this season, though he’s not been able to add to that tally of late.
That said, he’s still expected to be the subject of significant interest this summer.
Indeed, reports earlier this season suggested Liverpool and Chelsea were keeping tabs on him ahead of a possible summer appproach.
However, with unlimited funds at their disposal, Newcastle can no longer be considered a ‘selling club’. And assessing how they would react were a sizeable offer to come in for Saint-Maximin, one pundit claims Eddie Howe’s side would easily resist such an approach.
“Saint-Maximin is such a great player,” pundit Frank McAvennie told Football Insider.
“I’ve spoken about him so many times. I think it’s hurt Newcastle, him not being available.
Saint-Maximin has that X-factor
“Don’t get me wrong, [Ryan] Fraser has done a great job. But Saint-Maximin just has that unpredictability. He’s one who will be there for a while unless a mega-bid comes in for him.
“Newcastle could even turn that down because of the money they have now.
“Newcastle have lost their last two as well so they need a bit of a boost. Maybe they aren’t safe from relegation just yet. Him being back is a big boost, as I’ve said. Hopefully he can find a bit of form.”
Chelsea & Liverpool keen on Allan Saint-Maximin
Chelsea & Liverpool are said to be keen on Newcastle winger Allan Saint-Maximin, with more updates on Aaron Ramsey and Jude Bellingham.
Saint-Maximin last scored for Newcastle against Watford on January 15.
Newcastle’s loss to Everton on Thursday night leaves them 14th in the table, nine points clear of the relegation zone.
Newcastle to cut losses on Jamal Lewis
Howe, meanwhile, appears to have gotten his way as Newcastle are reportedly aiming to sell Jamal Lewis this summer for a cut-price fee.
Lewis joined the Magpies from Norwich in September 2020 for £15million. The left-back made 26 appearances in his debut season at St James’ Park, helping Newcastle finish 12th in the Premier League and reach the quarter-finals of the Carabao Cup.
However, Lewis lost his place at the start of the current campaign as then manager Steve Bruce began to use Matt Ritchie on the left side of defence.
Following Bruce’s sacking, Newcastle brought in Howe on November 8. That will have given Lewis some hope at getting back into the team.
But the Northern Ireland international hasn’t featured in the league since mid-December. Lewis is struggling with a groin issue, forcing him to be left out of the squad in Newcastle’s last eight Prem games.
Howe has no use for Lewis and is pushing for club officials to get him on the transfer list. And it looks like Newcastle chiefs have been listening with reports stating he will be up for grabs this summer for a mere £8m.