£27m fee sends Levy into troubling blind alley in Tottenham striker hunt

Date published: Tuesday 22nd September 2020 2:58

Andre Castro, Carlos Vinicius

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is refusing to pay the asking price for Benfica striker Carlos Vinicius, according to a report.

Spurs are keen to grant boss Jose Mourinho’s wish of bringing in a new striker before the transfer window closes.

Harry Kane has started the season in excellent form, notching four assists against Southampton. However Mourinho is aware of the England captain’s recent fitness struggles.

As such, several names have emerged as candidates to provide support to Spurs’ talisman. Napoli’s Arkadiusz Milik was an initial consideration, with Eintracht Frankfurt’s Bas Dost also a target.

According to TVI24, however, Brazilian marksman Vinicius is the latest target on the north London club’s shortlist.

Benfica are adamant that the 25-year-old will not leave for less than €30million (£27million). However, Levy is refusing to meet that asking price and could now look elsewhere.

Benfica, meanwhile, are refusing to budge and are happy to wait for the right offer to come in.

Tottenham are not the first Premier League club to have reportedly shown interest in Vinicius. Earlier this year, Wolves and Manchester United had the striker on their wish lists.

Benfica president Luis Felipe Vieira revealed in June that he rejected a €60million (£55million) offer for the player. However, he did not reveal the club from which the offer arrived.

Tottenham tried second Benfica raid

Haris Seferovic Benfica

TVI24 also claims that Tottenham’s enquiries about Vinicius come after a change of tack from Levy.

Spurs reportedly approached Benfica for the second time about forward Haris Seferovic. The north London club made an enquiry in January but were knocked back.

As such, Tottenham tried again earlier this transfer window, with Benfica this time offering a loan deal. Levy, though, is reportedly keen to sign a striker on a permanent deal.

Barnett wants Bale on second Spurs deal

 

 

Meanwhile, Gareth Bale’s agent says he is confident he can tie his client down to another year at Spurs.

Bale is back in north London after a successful seven-year spell at Real Madrid.

Speaking to BBC Sport, Jonathan Barnett said an extension for Bale would be inevitable if he succeeded under Mourinho.

Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM