Milan giants ready to offer Newcastle youngster long-term contract

Date published: Tuesday 4th February 2020 3:56

Both AC and Inter Milan have been linked with a summer move for Newcastle youngster Matty Longstaff, with contract negotiations at a stand-still.

The 19-year-old was linked with a move away from St. James Park on deadline day, with both Milan clubs reportedly admirers of the midfielder, according to The Times.

Now according to the same outlet, the two Italian giants are ready to offer Longstaff a long-term contract.

The Newcastle-born player has made seven appearances in the Premier League this season, scoring two goals, one of which came against Manchester United.

Newcastle have since been trying to negotiate a new contract with the player, but have so far been unsuccessful in their efforts to tie him down.

Now, the Magpies could be set to lose at least one of the Longstaff brothers, with Matty’s brother and team-mate Sean also being linked with a move away from the club. However, no solid approaches for Sean have been made, according to manager Steve Bruce.

Only yesterday Bruce said he was anxiously awaiting a breakthrough.

Asked about Matty’s situation, he said: “It’s a concern for us all, of course it is. I hope we can get that tied up, I really do.

“But, they’ve got the power these days, the players. We see it often now with young players as well. I hope there’s a bit of common sense.

“There’s nobody, at 19, played more games than him. He’s got an opportunity.”

The two Milan clubs could easily come in and sign Matty Longstaff on a free transfer, with the player’s contract expiring in the summer.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM