Gabriel Agbonlahor labelled a quartet of players snubbed by Gareth Southgate as “unlucky” after declaring “every single one of them” is better than a Tottenham star.
Southgate named his latest England squad last week ahead of their World Cup qualifiers with San Marino, Albania, and Poland. Predictably, the announcement split opinion on a number of cases. No Liverpool stars were included, with Jamie Carragher insisting Southgate had missed an ‘ironic’ point.
Additionally, Leeds Utd forward Patrick Bamford was also excluded despite being the Premier League’s joint-second-highest English scorer this season. This led to fierce criticism and accusations of bias from Charlie Austin.
Southgate sought to clear up that situation, but another area of the squad has now rankled Agbonlahor.
The ex-Aston Villa forward believes Ezri Konsa should’ve been given the nod instead. Furthermore, he named another three players he believes were unlucky not to take Dier’s spot.
Speaking to Football Insider, Agbonlahor said: “For me, it’s very disappointing – he’ll [Konsa] be disappointed too.
“Players like Konsa, Ben Godfrey, Michael Keane and Lewis Dunk are so unlucky to not make the squad because for me every single one of them is better than Eric Dier. It’s a shame they haven’t been selected.
“What’s more frustrating is that if you haven’t played for England before and you’re not in the last squad before the Euros I don’t think there’s much chance of making the Euros.
“I don’t think Southgate’s going to select somebody who hasn’t played for England before for the Euros – especially a defender, he might do it for an attacker.
“Konsa must be very disappointed. If I was him, I’d keep working hard and hopefully, he can get there one day.
“He’ll be looking at the performances of Eric Dier and be thinking ‘I’m playing a lot better than him.’”
Tottenham ace Bale facing “volatile” Real return
Meanwhile, Former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon has claimed that Gareth Bale will have to win over the club’s “volatile” fans if he is to perform well on his return to Spain.
Bale confirmed on Tuesday that he will return to Madrid at the end of the season following his Tottenham loan spell. The 31-year-old turned heads across Europe last September by leaving the Spanish capital for a London return.
Bale partly moved back to England because of a fractured relationship with Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane. However, the sour relationship with Los Blancos fans also played its part.
Therefore, Calderon insisted that Bale will still find it tough to win back support, even if his form has improved.
“Fans are very volatile, it depends on his performances,” the former chief told talkSPORT.
“If he’s going to play well and score goals like he did when he came then fans will back him.
“But if he’s not then problems will come again.
“This club is very demanding, I remember with Zidane they were booing him for the first five months because they thought we’ve paid a lot of money for a player that wasn’t playing as they expected.
“I’m sure fans will be backing him if he does things well.”