Aguero strikes at death as City win at Gladbach

Date published: Wednesday 30th September 2015 9:52

Sergio Aguero: Scored Manchester City's winner at Borussia Monchengladbach

Sergio Aguero scored a last-minute penalty as Manchester City came from behind to beat Borussia Monchengladbach 2-1 in the Champions League.

Joe Hart saved a penalty from Raffael in the first half, but the City goalkeeper could do nothing to stop Lars Stindl from side-footing Gladbach in front nine minutes into the second half.

Nicolas Otamendi then volleyed in an equaliser in the 65th minute before Aguero coolly converted at the death as City bounced back from their opening defeat to Juventus, who beat Sevilla 2-0 in the other Group D game to move three points clear.

The first half was played at a ferocious pace with City looking to attack at every opportunity but being regularly caught on the break by an equally positive-minded home side.

Raffael was a constant danger and gave City a warning as he blazed an early chance over.

Another feature of the game was Aguero’s frustration in front of goal, and the Argentinian was denied in the opening minutes by goalkeeper Yann Sommer as he slid onto a Raheem Sterling pass.

City had another chance as Kevin de Bruyne drove across goal, but Patrick Herrmann narrowly missed the target for the hosts.

Monchengladbach had a great chance to go ahead as Otamendi’s clumsy challenge on Raffael resulted in a penalty, but Hart saved the Brazilian’s spot-kick to his right.

City quickly countered and Aguero raced through on goal but dragged his shot wide and missed another opportunity soon after.

Hart produced superb point-blank saves from Raffael and Hermann, and City breathed another sigh of relief when referee Clement Turpin gave nothing after Stindl went down in the area.

Monchengladbach began the second half at the same tempo and Hart was needed again as Raffael broke through once more.

With Granit Xhaka having a shot blocked it began to seem a goal was inevitable as City were being pushed back. It came as Julian Korb found room on the right and pulled the ball back for Stindl to fire a low shot past Hart.

It seemed City were again suffering on the continent and David Silva, on his return from a calf injury, was withdrawn just after the hour. Yaya Toure, who had been troubled by a hamstring problem since the weekend, had already left the fray at half-time.

But City found a lifeline from a corner in the 65th minute. Martin Demichelis fired the ball goalwards from a Fernandinho header and his effort was blocked on – or perhaps just behind – the line. City appealed to the referee for a goal, but Otamendi did not wait for an explanation as he smashed home the rebound from outside the area via a big deflection.

City cranked up the pressure and Fernandinho went close while Aguero had two more efforts blocked and De Bruyne shot over. Substitute Jesus Navas delivered a dangerous cross and Sterling headed over.

The final word came in the last minute after Aguero was hacked down. The striker put a night of frustration behind him to net a cool winner.

Related Articles