Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette has insisted that he is unaware of a clause in his contract allowing him to leave in the summer if the Gunners fail to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Recent reports have suggested that Arsenal have reached the agreement with the 28-year-old Frenchman, who will be allowed to leave if his ambitions of playing at the highest level cannot be met.
Indeed, such reports have come alongside Lacazette’s struggle for form, which has seen him lose his place to youngster Eddie Nketiah for the last two Premier League games.
Lacazette scored off the bench in the recent win over Newcastle before netting the only goal in the 1-0 Europa League round of 32 victory in Olympiacos last week.
They are his only two goals since mid-December, however.
Speaking in a press conference ahead of Thursday’s second leg against Olympiacos, Lacazette was frank with his assessment of the speculation surrounding his future.
“I didn’t know about this,” Lacazette said of the alleged exit clause.
Asked to elaborate, he said: “I did not know. Yes, I have a contract with the club so there is no point for me to leave, everybody is happy with me at the club.
“A lot of people can talk. There is always something to say so I don’t really think about this.
“If the manager, the coach, my team-mates are happy with me then that’s the most important thing.”
Fellow Gunners striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who has one year left on his deal, has also been linked with a move away from North London.
“It’s really important [to keep him],” Lacazette said. “He’s one of the best or maybe he’s been the best player this season for Arsenal. Obviously I hope he’s going to stay.
“I think people should talk more about Auba and what he is doing in the game because he is more than a goalscorer, he is working a lot for the team defensively and making space for the other striker – Eddie [Nketiah] or me.
“I think if we start to win more trophies, people will talk more about what he is doing for the team.”
In other news, Arsenal are reportedly keeping tabs on Getafe’s Marc Cucurella amid reports that Bukayo Saka could leave the club in the summer.
Cucurella – on loan from Barcelona – has caught the eye of several other clubs and is expected to move permanently to Getafe at the end of the season.