Ancelotti taking no chances with Jordan Pickford for Everton

Date published: Friday 9th April 2021 4:50 - Samuel Bannister

Carlo Ancelotti, Everton boss frustrated

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed that Everton will not risk Jordan Pickford for their game against Brighton at the Amex Stadium on Monday.

The England goalkeeper is back in training after a recent injury. However, Ancelotti is being cautious and will be patient with Pickford. He has sat out Everton’s last two games plus England’s three World Cup qualifiers due to an abdominal injury.

Ancelotti said at his pre-match press conference on Friday: “Jordan Pickford started training this week but I think he’s not 100 per cent and we don’t want to take a risk for this game.”

Also, Andre Gomes has been ruled out of the clash with the Seagulls. That’s because he picked up a hamstring issue in Monday’s 1-1 draw with Crystal Palace.

“He started training individually today. He will not be able to play on Monday, and he will be able for the next game, against Tottenham (four days later),” Ancelotti said of the Portuguese.

Gomes’ fellow midfielder Allan could return to action after missing the Palace match through injury. Meanwhile, winger Alex Iwobi is available again having also been sidelined for that contest.

Midfielders Abdoulaye Doucoure and Fabian Delph and winger Bernard continue with their recoveries.

Ancelotti said he was confident Doucoure, who has a foot problem, would play again this season.

The Italian said: “He will play again. He had a scan last week, everything was OK. He is going to have a next scan in three weeks and if the scan will be OK, he can start to train.”


Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


Ancelotti has role for Gbamin

The Palace match saw another Everton midfielder, Jean-Philippe Gbamin, come off the bench and make his first appearance since August 2019, the month he joined the club.

The Frenchman is back after being sidelined long-term by quadriceps and Achilles injuries.

Asked how he was thinking he would use Gbamin for the rest of the season given how long he has been out, Ancelotti said: “I think Jean-Philippe Gbamin can play, because he’s training well, properly.

“He’s not used to the intensity of the game in the Premier League so we have to take care of this. But I think he can play, and now, with the medical staff, with our staff, we have to decide how long he can play.

“He will be for sure a fantastic midfielder. I have this idea. He has all the quality to be a top midfielder.”

READ MOREEverton ‘following’ Serie A youngster being touted for bargain summer move

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM