Ancelotti speaks out to dispel worrying James Rodriguez claims

Date published: Friday 19th February 2021 2:35 - James Marshment

James Rodriguez Everton playmaker

Carlo Ancelotti has rubbished speculation that star man James Rodriguez is unsettled on Merseyside and seeking a return to LaLiga this summer.

James, 29, joined the Toffees in September 2020 after falling out of contract with Real Madrid.

The move reunited him with former Real boss Ancelotti and he has made steady progress at Goodison Park. The former Porto winger has scored five Premier League goals from 16 outings to help Everton to seventh place.

However, reports earlier this week stated he has already had enough. Real Madrid focused website Defensa Central (via Sport Witness) suggested James is finding it hard to adjust to English life and is wanted back in Spain by Atletico Madrid.

Ancelotti, however, used his press conference to preview Saturday’s derby with Liverpool to play down the claims.

“He is OK, he has no problem, I talk to him every day,” Ancelotti said. “James is happy here, is confident and motivated.

“He had a little problem in the last few games with his calf, but now he is in a good condition.

“He really feels good here because everyone takes care of him, and that is it.”

One of the reasons given for the Colombian’s apparent desire to return to Spain was the harsh British winter.

Ancelotti added: “I don’t know if he complains about the weather, but we know that is not the best (here). But there are a lot of things good in this area.”


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Ancelotti holds Allan hopes

Ancelotti hopes to soon see the best of Brazilian midfielder Allan again ahead of the derby at Anfield.

Allan has been sidelined since mid-December with a hamstring injury. However, he returned as an unused substitute against Fulham, but did not feature against Manchester City.

Ancelotti, though, is looking forward to being able to utilise the 30-year-old once again.

“Allan was out for two months. To have him back is really important for us in this period,” Ancelotti said.

“He can add more intensity, more concentration defensively. But I have to say Tom Davies, who replaced him most of the time, did really well.

“I am happy to have Allan back, because I feel the consistency of the team is going to improve.”

Ancelotti, meanwhile, has confirmed Dominic Calvert-Lewin is available again after a hamstring problem.

Defender Yerry Mina is unavailable though after picking up a calf problem against City.

READ MORE: Everton place huge price tag on rejuvenated Moise Kean

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM