Ancelotti reveals conversation with Everton star after England snub

Date published: Friday 2nd April 2021 3:42 - Dan Burnham

Carlo Ancelotti has revealed the conversation he had with Michael Keane after the defender was not included in Gareth Southgate’s England squad.

Keane was a surprise omission for the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino, Albania and Poland. He has been called up regularly in the last couple of years, but Conor Coady, Eric Dier and Tyrone Mings were picked as back-up to first-choice pair John Stones and Harry Maguire instead of the 28-year-old.

There is now significant doubt as to whether the Everton centre-back will be selected for the Euros this summer. There will be no more international breaks before the major competition.

But Ancelotti maintains the belief that his player could be involved, and offered reassurance to him about his future for his country.

Speaking at the pre-match press conference for the Toffees’ game against Crystal Palace, he said: “I spoke with him, he trained really well. I said to him it can be an opportunity, the fact that you’re not in the [England] squad.

“At the end, you want to be in the squad for the Euros, and I think he has the possibility to be there.”

Keane will be looking to do all he can to fight his way into the squad in Everton’s last 10 games of the season, which starts with Palace on Monday evening.

Ancelotti was able to offer Everton fans positive news on the injury front for the game.

“This break was good for us because, first of all, we didn’t have injuries in the national teams,” he said. “Then we were able to recover important players like James [Rodriguez], [Jean-Phillipe] Gbamin and [Robin] Olsen.

“The squad is ready to fight for the rest of the games we have.”

Along with the trio of returnees, the Toffees boss confirmed that England under-21 pair Tom Davies and Ben Godfrey will be available.


Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


No timescale on Pickford recovery

They will however be without Jordan Pickford, Bernard, Fabian Delph and Abdoulaye Doucoure.

England’s number one Pickford sustained an injury in the 2-1 defeat to Burnley last month. Ancelotti couldn’t offer a timescale on when he could return.

“Not sure how long it will be,” he said. “He’s improving day-by-day; maybe he will start to train next week on the pitch with the goalkeeper coach.

“We hope he is going to recover soon; we need him for the end of the season.”

READ MORE: Everton impressed by Barnsley ace with £17m transfer option

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM