Another blow for Klopp as fourth Liverpool star ‘tests positive for Covid-19’

Date published: Monday 12th October 2020 7:25

Naby Keita

Liverpool could be be without Naby Keita for the Merseyside derby against Everton on Saturday after it was reported he had tested positive for Covid-19.

The reports come from Guinean journalist Amadou Makadji, who says that Keita has now returned a positive test for the virus.

Four other Guinea players are also said to have tested positive following Sunday’s match with Cape Verde.

If proven correct, Keita will be forced to undergo a two-week period of isolation. As a result, the midfielder will miss the Saturday lunchtime date with Carlo Ancelotti’s table-topping Toffees.

Keita will join Thiago Alcantara, Sadio Mane and Xherdan Shaqiri to have contracted the virus in recent weeks. The most recent of these, Swiss star Shaqiri, was recently given the all-clear after a second test.

News of Keita’s loss will further hamper Klopp’s plans for Sunday’s derby game. The Reds will already be without goalkeeper Alisson Becker for the game; the Brazilian is sidelined with a shoulder injury.

Klopp also admitted before the latest round of internationals that he feared his plans would be further complicated by Covid-19.

“I’m not saying this is the safest place in the world, but it’s the place we know at least. We know how to deal with the different scenarios,” said Klopp.

“Yes, I am slightly concerned. It’s difficult to get in contact with all FAs all over the world.

“I understand 100 per cent the demands on FAs, UEFA and FIFA. I know how difficult the situation is for everybody but it’s not exactly perfect.

 

“As a football club it’s pretty often you are pretty alone in these moments.

“We send the players away, the Premier League and the TV broadcasters give us a challenge a lot. They just don’t care if our players play on Wednesday night in Peru, for example.

“They still think it’s a good idea to let us play on Saturday pretty early.

“Supporters at other clubs say I moan constantly, but I don’t moan. I know it’s difficult.

“As a club you have to make sure you bring the players home in the quickest and most safe way because nobody helps you.”

 


Subscribe to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


 

Klopp decides against new keeper deal

With confirmation of Keita’s health expected to arrive later on Monday, one man Klopp will repy on against Everton is Adrian.

The Spaniard came in for criticism after the shock 7-2 demolition at the hands of Aston Villa.

Adrian

His absence could include the club’s crucial league clash with Man City at the start of November.

Rumours had begun to swirl that Klopp would act to improve on his current back-up options.

Stoke’s Jack Butland had been touted as an ideal candidate before the domestic deadline for transfers expires this Friday.

However, the Daily Mirror has gone on record as stating no new goalkeepers will be arriving at Anfield with Klopp reportedly ‘happy’ with the players currently at his disposal.

The article claims that the German ‘feels Adrian was not to blame’ for their embarrassing defeat at Villa. Furthermore, he is described as being ‘pleased with the Spaniard’s performances’ since his arrival in 2019.

 

READ MORE here…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM