Lesser-seen Dortmund figure finally ends Man Utd’s Jadon Sancho hopes

Date published: Tuesday 15th September 2020 9:10

Jadon Sancho

Manchester United’s chances of signing Jadon Sancho before the October 5 deadline have suffered another telling blow.

The 20-year-old has been tipped to make the move to United since the turn of the year. Indeed, Sancho has been Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s top target throughout the summer.

The transfer fee for Sancho remains the worry in negotiations for United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward.

Dortmund are unwilling to budge from their €120m asking price, which Woodward feels is unrealistic in the current circumstances.

The concerns, however, come despite previous reports claiming the Red Devils were confident of finally securing a deal. Dagbladet said Solskjaer was confident Sancho would be at Old Trafford by next weekend.

What’s more, Sancho has reportedly agreed personal terms, with that side of negotiations wrapped up.

However, with less than three weeks of the window remaining, Dortmund look to have hammered the final nail into United’s coffin.

That’s after Sebastian Kehl, the club’s sporting director, insisted Sancho would stay at the club.

“Jadon Sancho will play for Dortmund this season,” said Kehl. “Manchester United have not submitted a new bid to sign him.”

Those comments follow another rebuttal from Lucien Favre, the coach speaking prior to Monday’s DFB Pokal win.

He told Keystone-SDA (as cited by Sport Bible): “We need him, no question. Everyone was happy that he stayed.

“We don’t need to talk long about its qualities – they are enormous. He scores and sets up a lot of goals and can often make all the difference.

“But there are some details that Sancho needs to improve. That is quite normal for a 20-year-old.”

 

United turn to alternative options

That prompted United to look at potential alternatives, with Douglas Costa, Ivan Perisic and David Brooks all eyed.

But Gareth Bale has now emerged as a genuine target for United. Indeed, some reports suggest Real Madrid could let him leave for just £18million.

United’s sole addition to their squad so far has been midfielder Donny van de Beek from Ajax. But Solskjaer remains in the hunt for a centre-back, a right-winger and a striker as United prepare to start their Premier League campaign against Crystal Palace this weekend.

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM