Barcelona chief opens up about future of €150m Man Utd target

Date published: Monday 3rd August 2020 1:28

Arturo Vidal, Ansu Fati Barcelona

Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu has been speaking about the future of Manchester United transfer target Ansu Fati.

The 17-year-old wonderkid has been linked with United, with Sport recently claiming they had submitted  a €100million bid for the Spain U21 international.

The Times then claimed last month United had increased their offer for the player. The second approach was said to be €100m up front with a further €50m in incentives.

United’s hopes were understood to have been lifted by talk that Barca would need to sell players this summer after the coronavirus pandemic, and having finished last season particularly well, Ole’s side will be hoping to be one of the bookies favourites for the title when the betting odds are released of 2020/21.

The LaLiga side are said to have the biggest wage bill in world football at £550million and The Sun suggested they were making plans to offer the majority of their squad for sale.

Bartomeu though insists they had never thought of selling Fati and he wants the teenage wonderkid to stay at the Camp Nou for the rest of his career.

 

 

 

Bartomeu told Sport: “We haven’t had any formal offers but there has been interest from some clubs.

“Barça’s answer has always been ‘no’.

“Ansu isn’t for sale and is indispensable for the future of the club.

‘Barca can’t sell Ansu’

Ansu Fati TEAMtalk

“He represents La Masia as someone who comes through the academy, learns and consolidates his place in the first team.

“He made the jump from the Juvenil side to the first team and there aren’t many players like him.

“Barça can’t sell Ansu, even if it might feel like an option to balance the books during a pandemic.

“We never considered letting him go. The opposite, in fact, what we want is to aid his development and extend his time here so that he plays at Barça for the rest of his life.

“He signed a contract as a Barça B player and now the plan is to promote him to the first team. That contract he signed in December had this in mind. He’ll join the first team because he’s won his place there.

“Alongside Riqui (Puig) and (Ronald) Araujo, it shows la Masia is capable of producing young players who can be good enough for the first team. These players prove that La Masia, even if people say it doesn’t work, continues to produce footballers.

“You can’t always do that with every generation but we now have three players who are here (in the first team) to stay.”

READ MORE: Transfer expert hints Man Utd being used over €150m Ansu Fati bid

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM