Woodward has Mendes brokering deal, as Man Utd ‘return’ for €170m Sancho alternative

Date published: Wednesday 12th August 2020 12:55

Manchester United have made a further enquiry about Barcelona’s Ansu Fati after their prospective move for Jadon Sancho continues to stall.

That is the latest news via Sport, who claim that United’s priority is still to land Sancho form Borussia Dortmund.

United are apparently locked in talks with Borussia Dortmund over the winger, but negotiations have slowed up in the past week and the Bundesliga club’s self-imposed August 10 deadline has now passed.

Last week, the Red Devils and Sancho agreed on personal terms on a five-year contract but fast forward and United have now become angered at the intermediary working on the deal.

What’s more, United feel Dortmund’s £108million asking price is too much in the coronavirus-impacted market.

Dortmund’s sporting director Michael Zorc has now said he was confident Sancho would be at the club next season.

The Spanish outlet claim that United are as determined as ever to sign Sancho, but they do have a significant back up option in Fati.

 

 

In fact the paper says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer side’s will “return for Fati” and “have more than €100m’ ready for a Sancho alternative.

Ed Woodward has instructed Portuguese super agent Jorge Mendes to try and broker the deal. Mendes has a good relationship with the player’s family.

He apparently proposed the 17-year-old to United and had been trying to build a deal.

Fati not for sale

In June, Sport claimed they had submitted a €100million bid for the Spain U21 international.

The Times then claimed last month United had increased their offer for the player. The second approach was said to be €100m up front with a further €50m in incentives.

Barca though, for their part, have remained firm and maintained the player is ‘non-transferable’.

The club’s president Josep Bartomeu recently told Sport: “We haven’t had any formal offers but there has been interest from some clubs.

“Barça’s answer has always been ‘no’.

“Ansu isn’t for sale and is indispensable for the future of the club.”

Whether the latest news is being driven by Fati’s representatives attempting to push his claims of a renewal and pay rise remains to be seen, but United are intent on making a marquee signing.

The Old Trafford club could also be using Fati, who has a €170m release clause, as a smokescreen, with their sole intention of putting pressure on Dortmund.

READ MORE: Transfer expert hints Man Utd being used over €150m Ansu Fati bid

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM