Antoine Griezmann’s future announcement branded ‘shameful’

Date published: Friday 15th June 2018 8:35

Antoine Griezmann’s future announcement that he is staying with Atletico Madrid has been branded “shameful”.

Barcelona-based paper Sport ran with the headline “bochorno”, which translates as “embarrassment” or “shameful” after Griezmann decided to extend his stay with Atletico.

Sport also claimed Barca did not want to match Atletico’s offer to Griezmann and damage their pay scale.

The France striker had been heavily linked with a £88million move to Barca this summer, having last year been a reported target for Manchester United.

However, the 27-year-old has now decided to extend his four-year stay with Europa League winners Atletico.

Griezmann, who had said he would clarify his future before France’s World Cup opener against Australia on Saturday, posted a video on social media on Thursday evening in which he confirmed he was staying put.

Griezmann took to Twitter and conveyed the message “My fans, my team, MY HOME!!!” in Spanish, French and English along with a video in which he is seen walking around Madrid as the Amanda Delara song ‘We Don’t Run From Anyone’ plays.

The 45-second clip begins with the lyrics “Welcome to my city where the lights are really pretty…” and finishes with the player walking happily towards Atletico’s Wanda Metropolitano stadium.

It is the second successive summer that Griezmann has opted to stay with Atletico amid speculation of a big-money switch away.

Last year it was United who looked to be leading the chase for his services, only for Griezmann to end up signing a one-year contact extension with Atletico, tying him to the club until 2022.

Thursday’s announcement will be welcome news for the Rojiblancos.

Since joining from Real Sociedad for a reported £24million in 2014, Griezmann has scored 112 goals in all competitions for Aletico and finished each season as the club’s top scorer.

He also helped Atletico reach the 2016 Champions League final and scored twice as they beat Marseille 3-0 in last month’s Europa League final.

Griezmann’s announcement was also aired on Spanish television on a programme called ‘The Decision’, which documented the player’s deliberations over a two-month period.

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique, who earlier said on Twitter that he would be watching with interest – alongside a popcorn emoji – was quick to post his thoughts on the outcome.

He wrote (in Spanish): “Another way to see the life of the soccer player and his doubts over making the most important decision of his career. Thanks to the @Kosmos_Studios team and especially @AntoGriezmann for these last weeks. You decided to stay at @Atleti and I hope you do great this season!”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM