Arnold provides late heroics as Lincoln shock Ipswich

Date published: Tuesday 17th January 2017 10:07 - Oli Fisher

Nathan Arnold: Wins it for Lincoln

Lincoln City caused a shock on Tuesday night as they scored a last-gasp winner to knock Ipswich Town out of the FA Cup.

With the game seemingly set for extra time, Nathan Arnold was put through on goal, rounding the ‘keeper and slotting home to spark amazing scenes at Sincil Bank.

The result by no means flattered the Imps, while the pressure continues to grow for Mick McCarthy.

After an emotional minute’s applause in memory of former Lincoln boss Graham Taylor, who died last week, both sides eased their way into the match and it took 10 minutes for the first meaningful attempt when Tom Lawrence made Paul Farman stretch low to his right to make the save.

That was as about as good as it got in the first 45 minutes for Ipswich, who made five changes from the first tie, while Lincoln named an unchanged starting XI from the game in Suffolk.

Matt Rhead headed a Terry Hawkridge cross wide as the Imps, who were more than holding their own again, responded.

Theo Robinson, the two-goal hero from the original tie, was crowded out by the Town defence in the six-yard box as he attempted to shoot, before Alex Woodyard headed Bradley Wood’s cross narrowly wide.

City were completely in the ascendancy and Rhead again went close, but could not quite get enough of his head to a superb Hawkridge cross, with the ball squirming wide of Gerken’s right-hand post.

Just before the break, Town stopper Gerken kept the scores level with a brilliant one-handed save from Lincoln skipper Luke Waterfall, who prodded the ball goalwards from Rhead’s knockdown.

Thirteen minutes into the second half, Josh Emmanuel brought out a smart low save from Farman. The ball went loose, but City hacked it to safety.

Ipswich were starting to get more of a foothold in the game, but were still being matched by their National League hosts.

Imps winger Hawkridge had a 20-yarder saved by Gerken, before Arnold shot high and wide after superbly bringing the ball down.

A Hawkridge clearance fell to Jonas Knudsen and the Town left-back’s first-time shot went well wide.

Rather than be content to take their chance in extra-time, City still pressed forward and got their reward in the final minute, when an Imps clearance reached Marriott and spotting Arnold’s run, he guided the ball through to him.

As Gerken came out to close him down, Arnold simply took the ball around the goalkeeper and poked the ball home to sink the Tractor Boys and send the home fans

Related Articles