Arsenal officials block January exit for unsettled midfielder

Date published: Wednesday 18th December 2019 1:35

Lucas Torreira TEAMtalk

Arsenal will not sell Lucas Torreira in January, according to a report.

Arsenal transfer chiefs have told the Uruguay midfielder’s representatives that he will categorically not be allowed to leave The Emirates next month.

The Daily Star report that Gunners officials, who are looking for a successor to Unai Emery, will not sanction the departure of the player, who has not managed to nail down a permanent place in the Arsenal side.

Last month Naples-based paper Il Mattino claimed Napoli were keen on Torreira given the uncertainty both he and Arsenal are facing at the moment with interim boss Freddie Ljungberg in charge.

The paper via SempreMilan claimed that Napoli will propose a loan move for the Uruguayan international, but if Arsenal reject that then Napoli will pay the €25m asking price that Arsenal have set.

That now appears wide of the mark with Arsenal officials not willing to let the player leave ahead of a proposed new manager coming in.

Last month Torreira’s agent confirmed that his client was unhappy with his role at the club.

The 23-year-old has only made eight Premier League starts for the Gunners this term and speaking to CalciomercatoPablo Bentancur rexplained more about his client’s current feelings.

“I must say that the change of role has penalized him sharply,” the agent said. “He is no longer at ease and we hope that things can change.”

However, a few days later the player himself had had his say and insisted that he was not thinking about making a move away from north London.

“Today Arsenal needs me to be focused. I can’t start talking about another team,” the 23-year-old told Sport 890. “I need to be focused and when the transfer window arrives we will see what will happens.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM