Arsenal, Tottenham ready to move in as €45m striker’s exit path opens up

Date published: Tuesday 10th March 2020 6:05

Arsenal and Tottenham are two of several clubs across Europe keeping tabs on Napoli striker Arkadiusz Milik, according to reports.

Milik moved to Napoli from Ajax in 2016 but injuries have largely restricted him to a back-up role, with his 35 Serie A appearances last season the first time he has managed over 20 in the Italian top flight.

Instead, Dries Mertens has continued to be Napoli’s main goal threat, the Belgian becoming the club’s joint-top all-time record goalscorer last month.

Poland international Milik, meanwhile, has managed nine goals in 12 league appearances this campaign but according to CalcioNapoli24, his future at the club is in doubt.

The source says that Mertens, whose own future looked to be away from Napoli in recent months, is expected to sign a new deal in a move which could act as a “farewell ticket” for Milik.

It is claimed that with just over a year left on Milik’s deal, talks between Napoli and the striker over an extension have been unsuccessful and look irreparable.

Furthermore, while the 26-year-old’s commitment to Napoli has never been questioned, it is said that Milik has lost confidence and “does not look decisive”.

As such, the report continues by adding that the striker – rated at €45million – has his suitors across Europe, with Tottenham and Arsenal both tracking his situation in Italy.

 

 

Both London clubs could be on the lookout for reinforcements this month, with the futures of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette both uncertain.

Meanwhile, Spurs boss Jose Mourinho has felt the full impact of failing to sign a striker in January after injuries to Harry Kane, Son Heung-min and, most recently, Steven Bergwijn.

Elsewhere, the report claims that Atletico Madrid and Valencia, as well as Borussia Dortmund, are all interested.

As for who could replace Milik at Napoli, boss Gennaro Gattuso reportedly wants Torino’s Italy international, Andrea Belotti.

In other news, Stan Collymore has issued a damning verdict on Mourinho’s future at Tottenham.

Spurs are winless in five games heading into Tuesday’s Champions League clash with RB Leipzig.

Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM