Arsenal are one of three clubs across Europe interested in signing Napoli attacker Dries Mertens in January, according to a report.
The 32-year-old, who has scored nine goals and assisted four others in 21 appearances in all competitions this season, is out of contract in the summer.
Recent reports have indicated that it is looking likely that the Belgian international will not extend his stay in Naples, with Manchester United one of the sides previously linked with his signature.
One previous claim has suggested that Mertens is one of six players Red Devils boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has his eye on for January, with the player’s agent talking up the chances of his client making it in the Premier League.
According to Italian source Il Matino [via Calciomercato], however, Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich are all interested in Mertens too.
The latest report claims that new Gunners boss Mikel Arteta has his eye on the winger as a potential addition as he begins a rebuild of a squad struggling so far this season.
Il Matino adds that Napoli are willing to let the player leave for €10m.
Elsewhere, Freddie Ljungberg has called out Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil for his actions in last weekend’s defeat to Manchester City.
Former Germany international Ozil threw off his gloves in anger at his substitution, with the 31-year-old not involved against Everton on Saturday due to injury.
Ljungberg – who took interim charge of Arsenal for the last time at Goodison Park – insisted that he would not have picked Ozil for the game even if he had been fit.
The Swede said: “I got asked about it and said, ‘At Arsenal, that’s not how we behave and not what we do’.
“I stand by that. Mesut was injured, but I would not have picked him for the squad because I want to make a stance that it’s not what I accept from an Arsenal football player.”