Villa come to conclusion on lethal attacker swoop after being told price tag

Date published: Sunday 26th January 2020 12:44

Aston Villa have decided against a move for Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic after being told they must pay £40m to sign the Serbia international.

Villa have been on the hunt for new attackers this month after summer signing Wesley was ruled out for the remainder of the season with a serious knee injury.

Dean Smith’s side confirmed the arrival of Mbwana Samatta from Genk on Monday but that has been met with Jonathan Kodjia’s move away from the club, and Smith has insisted that he wants a couple of new forward additions this month.

Mitrovic is reported to have been on Villa’s radar; the 25-year-old is the Championship’s joint-top scorer alongside Brentford’s Ollie Watkins with 18 goals so far this term.

However, according to the Daily Star, Villa have now decided against a move after being told that they must pay £40m to bring him in.

Tottenham were also reported to be interested but have also now turned their attentions elsewhere after learning Mitrovic’s price tag.

The newspaper adds, however, that Mitrovic has the option to leave Craven Cottage in the summer if Scott Parker’s side fail to achieve promotion.

Spurs are also on the hunt for strikers following Harry Kane’s hamstring injury, which will keep him out until at least April.

 

 

A move for Real Sociedad hitman Willian Jose has reportedly stalled, while Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale is being linked with a move back to North London.

Indeed, Sunday’s newspapers reported that Spurs are working around the clock in a bid to bring Bale back, with boss Jose Mourinho a big admirer of the Welshman.

Tottenham and Southampton’s winter breaks will now be cut short after the 1-1 FA Cup draw between the sides on Saturday.

Premier League clubs are scheduled to have time off this season in February but the replay will likely be played on February 5, meaning both clubs will have less of a break.

Speaking after Saturday’s game, both Mourinho and Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl admitted that the fourth-round replay was a game they could both do without.

Mourinho added: “Our fantastic fans that came here today, plus the other 50,000 that will go to the match at home, will be happy we have one more match.

“We are going on that difficult way! We are working. We don’t need one more match but we have it so we are going to fix it.

“This is the way it is. It’s better to draw than to be out. We have a match at home which is difficult of course, but better than losing.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM