Gareth Bale says that it will “cause chaos” if he announces his plans now, as he comes to the end of his loan spell with Tottenham.
The 31-year-old arrived back at Spurs after seven years with Real Madrid to great expectations. Indeed, he became one of the world’s best players in Spain, picking up three Champions League winners’ medals. But while he has enjoyed working with Ryan Mason, his struggles under Jose Mourinho have tarnished his return.
Overall, though, he finished with 14 goals in 33 games, his form improving towards the end of the season.
Earlier in the season, Bale admitted that he is legally obliged to return to Madrid to see out the final year of his contract.
Those comments sparked debate over whether he would stay or go, but such talk has quietened down of late.
Nevertheless, after ending his loan spell on a high with two goals in 10 minutes, he again faced questions over his plans.
The Wales international revealed that he has made his decision but wants to keep it to himself until after Euro 2020.
Bale told Sky Sports after Spurs’ 4-2 win over Leicester on Sunday: “It’ll just have to be… it will have to happen after the Euros.
“I know what I’m doing, but it’ll just cause chaos if I say anything.
“All I’m thinking about now is finishing this season off strong and we meet up straight away for the Euros.
“I’m not thinking about anything else other than Wales.”
Bale arrived back at Tottenham with injury and it took him a while to get back up to speed. However, he enjoyed a resurgence in the final stages of Mourinho’s tenure, before the Portuguese got the sack.
His recent exploits have seen him score five goals in six Premier League games to end the season.
Kane joins Bale with uncertain future
As well as Bale’s future, Harry Kane’s future will prove a telling storyline this summer.
The striker ended the season with the Golden Boot after scoring against Leicester. He also laid on the most assists, amid his deadly partnership with Son Heung-min.
However, speculation over his potential exit has increased this week and reports claim that three Manchester United stars – convinced by Edinson Cavani – plan to talk to the England international while at Euro 2020.