Leeds star ‘flattered’ by Liverpool links but wants European push under Bielsa

Date published: Tuesday 11th May 2021 5:02 - Robert McCarthy

Leeds striker Patrick Bamford has reportedly told Liverpool that he has no interest in making a move to Anfield this summer.

The 27-year-old attacker has emerged as a surprise target for Reds boss Jurgen Klopp, that is despite reports claiming that he has already penned a new contract at Elland Road. Klopp is said to have placed Bamford on his wanted list after seeing his attacking depth exposed in a woeful Premier League title defence.

Bamford has been one of the stand-out attackers in England this season, notching 15 goals and adding seven assists.

His consistently impressive form has helped Marcelo Bielsa’s men to 10th spot in the table. The forward is also on the radar of England boss Gareth Southgate, ahead of this summer’s delayed Euros.

For their part, Leeds and Bielsa are desperate to keep hold of one of their prized assets. And it would appear that Bamford feels the same, as reported in the Daily Star.

Bielsa has reportedly made it very clear how important Bamford is to the club and insists he cannot be sold.

The player himself, who signed from Middlesbrough in 2018, is under contract until 2023. And with two years remaining on his current deal, the frontman has no desire to leave.

The report adds that Bamford is ‘flattered’ by talk of a move. However, he wants to help Leeds make a push for European football under Bielsa next season.


Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


Leeds suffer transfer target worry

Meanwhile, Leeds have been informed by Real Madrid that they will only be able to sign target Miguel Gutierrez on loan, with no permanent arrangement featuring in any deal.

TEAMtalk revealed last month that the Whites were looking into a move for the starlet to support the versatile Stuart Dallas. Dallas has played at right-back, left-back and in midfield for Marcelo Bielsa’s side this season. With Ezgjian Alioski yet to sign a new contract and a summer move away looking likely, Leeds are looking at potential candidates to challenge Dallas next season.

Gutierrez is one option they are keen on, with the Yorkshire outfit open to a loan move with a view to a permanent deal.

However, as per El Espanol, via Sport Witness, Los Blancos have outlined that they have no interest in letting the 19-year-old leave for pastures new. The option of a loan move appears uncertain, but is still a possibility, though.

This uncertainty is because Madrid are unsure on their left-sided defensive options for next season.

Ferland Mendy has been the first choice left-back for Zinedine Zidane this campaign. He is likely going to be for 2021/22 too.

In addition, Marcelo will be entering the last year of his contract. It is unclear whether he will play the back-up role that he has this season.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Real not keen on losing Gutierrez

It’s reported that Gutierrez is highly rated by the Spanish giants, so much so that they have no interest in activating the buyback clause in Sergio Reguilon’s contract with Tottenham.

Therefore, they might opt to keep him at the Bernabeu and give him minutes instead of the ageing Marcelo.

He has already made three LaLiga appearances, all of which have come from the bench in recent weeks. That might be an indication that he is in Zidane’s plans for next season.

READ MORE: Chelsea midfielder snubs Leeds advances in bid to catch Tuchel’s eye

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM