Barcelona star gets new €400m release clause to end Man Utd hopes

Date published: Wednesday 23rd September 2020 5:29

Ansu Fati has been promoted to the Barcelona first team, effectively ending Manchester United’s fading hopes of signing him.

Fati made his senior debut for Barcelona last season at the age of just 16. With eight goals from 33 appearances across the season, he became their youngest ever goalscorer.

There were rumours that Manchester United were monitoring Fati as an alternative to Jadon Sancho. Their pursuit of the Borussia Dortmund winger has hit stumbling block after stumbling block, although he remains their top target.

However, reports claimed United were willing to bid €100m for Fati as a backup plan. Jorge Mendes, who represents the player, could have brokered the deal.

Such a move will not materialise now, though.

Barcelona have announced that Fati is now a full member of their first team squad. That means his contract has been extended by two years, meaning it will now expire in 2024.

Furthermore, Fati’s buyout clause has more than doubled, from €170m to €400m. He also has a new squad number, 22, which became free after Arturo Vidal’s move to Inter Milan.

Always confidence Fati would stay

Ansu Fati Barcelona TEAMtalk

The winger’s father recently confirmed that his intention was to stay at Barcelona.

Bori Fati said: “Ansu is very happy, he is at Barca, the best club in the world.

“I’m calm. He is happy at Barcelona. He is 17, he is enjoying himself, he is happy at Barcelona and not thinking about anything else. It’s very clear what Ansu wants.”

Under-pressure Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu has also insisted that Fati would be staying at Camp Nou.

“We haven’t had any formal offers but there has been interest from some clubs,” he said last month.

“Barça’s answer has always been ‘no’.

“Ansu isn’t for sale and is indispensable for the future of the club.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM