Barcelona are eyeing up a free transfer raid for Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero amid his uncertain contract situation, according to a report.
The 32-year-old now has less than six months on his deal at the Etihad. As such, he is free to talk to overseas clubs and agree a pre-contract arrangement.
According to The Sun, Barcelona are one such club that would be keen to open talks.
The newspaper claims that the Spanish giants are keen to bring Aguero back to Spain after his previous spell with Atletico Madrid.
However, the Camp Nou club will face fierce competition from Paris Saint-Germain.
New PSG boss Mauricio Pochettino has already reportedly earmarked several potential targets. Indeed, Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba is supposedly top of his summer wish list.
The Sun, though, resurfaces previous claims that the Argentine boss wants his compatriot at the Parc des Princes.
Aguero is reportedly still waiting for a new contract offer from City. However, it remains unclear if that new offer will arrive amid the uncertainty over his future.
The forward has had few match minutes since last summer, when he suffered a knee injury.
What’s more, after making a comeback, he then picked up a hamstring problem. More recently, though, he has entered a period of self-isolation after coming into close contact with someone who had tested positive for Covid-19.
As such, he will miss Wednesday’s Premier League clash with Brighton.
Manager Pep Guardiola said in his pre-match press conference that Aguero would be absent for nine or 10 days.
Guardiola hopeful of Aguero comeback
Guardiola said last week that he hopes Aguero can return to his best form.
“Hopefully he will, that’s what I wish,” he said. “He’s a guy who needs training but now has better conditions in his knee.
“In the last 10 or 15 days before isolation, he was perfect.”
READ MORE: Guardiola ‘concerned’ about Brighton test