Barcelona squad force Koeman U-turn to reduce Wijnaldum options to two

Date published: Saturday 10th April 2021 1:27 - James Marshment

Georginio Wijnaldum TEAMtalk

Georginio Wijnaldum may have to reassess his future amid reports in Spain that Barcelona will abandon their long-standing plan to sign the Liverpool midfielder.

Wijnaldum continues to be linked with a move to the Catalan club, where he would join up with Ronald Koeman. The Barca boss is reportedly keen to take him to the Camp Nou after being impressed during his time in charge of Holland. And with Wijnaldum set to be out of contract this summer, he has a perfect opportunity to secure his services.

For a long time, it has looked as though the 30-year-old’s move to Spain is inevitable. Indeed, some reports have even claimed the deal is as good as done.

However, there has been no official confirmation of that. Meanwhile, Wijnaldum himself recently insisted there has been no developments in regard to the situation.

Now it’s reported by Mundo Deportivo that Barcelona are ready to abandon their planned swoop for Wijnaldum. They claim senior players at Barcelona have met with Koeman and told him they don’t want Wijnaldum to sign. They claim, with young talent Ilaix Moribabreaking through, Barca would be better making other additions instead.

Quite how much sway the players have at Barca remains to be seen. However, Mundo Deportivo claims the stance has forced Koeman into a U-turn and a move for Wijnaldum will no longer be pursued. Instead, it’s claimed they will sign Memphis Depay this summer, and then Neymar in 2022. Both would arrive as free agents.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Wijnaldum left with two options

The reported decision of Barcelona to pull of out of plans to sign Wijnaldum will leave the player with two options on the table.

Indeed, according to recent reports, Chelsea have now registered an interest and appear as new favourites to sign the Dutchman.

Wijnaldum would prove a fantastic addition to Thomas Tuchel’s side, amid continued rumours that Jorginho could leave to return to Serie A.

The other option open to Wijnaldum at this stage would be to stay at Anfield.

Liverpool are reported to have offered the midfielder improved terms on his current, soon-to-expire, deal. And while he has so far rejected that offer, he could yet come back to Liverpool with cap in hand.

One pundit, meanwhile, claims the Reds are entirely right not to be held to ransom by Wijnaldum.

Wijnaldum said of his future last week: “You will always talk about those things and about my future.

“But as I have said on other occasions, I have no news yet. When there is news, I will talk about it, but there is no news.”

READ MOREJurgen Klopp names Liverpool star whose loss of form seriously worries him

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM