Batshuayi’s resolve remains intact after Hazard ‘advice’

Date published: Thursday 5th October 2017 10:18 - Matthew Briggs

Michy Batshuayi has revealed that Belgium team-mate Eden Hazard advised him to stay at Chelsea in the summer.

The 24-year-old striker has scored five goals in eight games in all competitions this season, but none of those have come in the Premier League. He has made just one Premier League start this term, the home defeat to Burnley, but the injury to Alvaro Morata looks likely to open the way for the former Marseille man.

Morata arrived from Real Madrid for £58million in the summer, but Batshuayi who was linked with a number of clubs, decided to stay put at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea almost signed Fernando Llorente in the summer, before the Spaniard opted for a move to Tottenham, but Batshuayi remained loyal to Chelsea after a chat with Hazard.

“It was friendly advice,” Batshuayi told Belgian reporters. “When he said that, he thought a third striker was going to come, but in the end, there’s only two of us for one place. I want to succeed at this club and my relationship with Alvaro is very healthy.

“I don’t want to leave during the next transfer window, because we’re going to play a lot of games and I will certainly get an opportunity.”

Batshuayi, who only made one Premier League start last season, believes he has improved and has so far refused to get downhearted by his lack of action.

Blues boss Antonio Conte decided to replace the hamstrung Morata with Willian during the first half of last weekend’s 1-0 home defeat to Manchester City.

“What disappointed me was our defeat to Manchester City, not my personal situation,” added the forward. “The coach congratulates me often because he knows my commitment on a daily basis. Thanks to him, I have progressed tactically.

“Before, I didn’t think about all that, but I’ve progressed… just like the rest of the squad. In terms of self-discipline and motivation, I’m also stronger.”

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM