Bayern Munich ready to pick off Tottenham superstar after contract impasse

Date published: Wednesday 31st March 2021 6:55 - Matthew Briggs

Son Bale TEAMtalk

Bayern Munich will try an exploit Son Heung-Min’s contract uncertainty at Tottenham and lure him to the Bundesliga, claims a report.

Son’s contract at Tottenham expires in 2023 and talks did get underway on a new deal for the South Korea star. According to FootballInsider Daniel Levy offered the attacker a new five-year deal on £200,000 and the Son was set to sign up. However, before Christmas, with the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic hitting hard talks were halted. And now the source claim Bayern are looking at a move for the 28-year-old. They even state the Bavarians are “prepared to wait a year to get him from Tottenham”.

Only last month Son spoke about the negotiations and he echoed the thoughts of Jose Mourinho, who said it was indecent for players to be commanding big pay rises when much of the world was suffering.

“It’s a bit unfair to talk about a new contract at the moment, I am focused on the games and my team and that is the most important thing at the moment,” said Son.

“I’m happy to be here and I’m working hard as a player and the team. It’s a bit unfair to talk about a new contract.”

The German champions are understood to be “big admirers” of Son and are planning a move to lure him back to the country. Son made a name for himself with Bayer Leverkusen before heading to north London for £22m in August 2015.

Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is also willing to be patient in his move and could hang on until June 2022 when the player will have just 12 months left on his contract.

 

 

That would allow Bayern to pick Son up for a knockdown price. Levy though is as shrewd as they come and will unlikely let that situation occur.

Son has proved to be a bargain acquisition and his numbers for Spurs are impressive. Son has 103 goals and 63 assists in 270 Spurs appearances, including 18 goals and 16 assists this season.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Allen worried over Tottenham duo

Former Spurs striker Clive Allen admits the departure of Harry Kane is a very real concern. He also says he could be followed out the exit door by Son.

“I think as I said about Champions League football, the financial implications…

“Without any shadow of a doubt Harry Kane and Son Heung-min are the major assets that Daniel Levy has,” Allen told talkSPORT

Levy faces a ‘big decision’ this summer over the future of head coach Jose Mourinho, according to The Athletic’s David Ornstein.

“Would he be considering selling [Kane]? There will be suitors, I’m not sure there are too many that can actually afford him. But there’s one or two that certainly would be interested in Harry Kane’s services.

“His record is phenomenal, what he’s done for the club is amazing, but without winning anything.

“I think that the nature of the beast. There has to come a point where he has to think about leaving the football club, which is unthinkable for Spurs fans.”

READ MORE: Harry Kane ‘keen on move’ as Euro giants prepare shock approach

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM