Redmond destroyer in chief as Southampton march past Bournemouth into FA Cup semis

Date published: Saturday 20th March 2021 2:07 - Matthew Briggs

Nathan Redmond TEAMtalk

Nathan Redmond was in inspired form as Southampton marched into the FA Cup semi-finals after a 3-0 win over Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday lunchtime.

Redmond was a class above Championship Bournemouth as he superbly laid on Saints’ first goal for Moussa Djenepo to fire home. He then doubled Saints’ advantage late in the first half with a brilliant solo strike. And made it 3-0 sliding in from close range in the second half.

Southampton named a strong line-up for their FA Cup quarter-final clash with neighbours Bournemouth.

Moussa Djenepo and Nathan Redmond came in for the visitors in place of cup-tied Takumi Minamino and Nathan Tella.

Bournemouth made two alterations from Tuesday’s Championship win against Swansea, with Ben Pearson and Rodrigo Riquelme coming in.

Southampton started on the front foot in Dorset, where they looked to have opened the scoring in the 10th minute.

Jan Bednarek sent a lovely ball over to Kyle Walker-Peters, whose nice cushioned touch was swiftly followed by a low cross that Cameron Carter-Vickers turned into his own net.

However, the goal was ruled out by the video assistant referee as Walker-Peters had strayed marginally offside.

Saints had started in the ascendancy but began to wobble as the half wore on, with Arnaut Danjuma and Rodrigo Riquelme threatening for the Cherries.

Southamton TEAMtalk

But play clicked for the visitors in the 37th minute when Walker-Peters fed into Redmond, who collected the ball at the halfway line and darted towards the Bournemouth box.

Showing great composure and skill, he played a side-splitting pass through for Djenepo to a curl a lovely right-footed shot past Asmir Begovic to make it 1-0.

Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

And they made it 2-0 in first-half stoppage time. Stuart Armstrong chested on a throw-in and Redmond did the rest.

The attacker darted through the middle and into the box, fended off Steve Cook and fired into the top corner of the net from a tight angle.

Shortly after Che Adams saw a goal ruled out by VAR, Saints did make it 3-0 as their high press paid dividends.

James Ward-Prowse picked off a loose Jack Stacey pass, leading to Armstrong hitting a post before Redmond impressively slid home the rebound.

Redmond almost made it a hat-trick on 76 minutes. Armstrong skipped three challenges before poking it through to Redmond, but his curling effort just missed the far right corner.


Related Articles