Burnley make decision on future of former England international

Date published: Wednesday 15th May 2019 12:35

Burnley have announced Aaron Lennon will be staying with the club next season, while it remains to be seen whether Peter Crouch departs or not.

Winger Lennon, who was a first-team regular for the first half of the season, has been recovering from knee surgery that he underwent in December and has had an option in his existing contract activated to keep him on until the summer of 2020.

That also applies to full-back Phil Bardsley and midfielder Steven Defour, as boss Sean Dyche, who himself has a contract until 2022, had already revealed.

In a statement about those players on Wednesday, Burnley, who lost their final game of the season to Arsenal, also said with regard to Crouch that discussions between the striker and the club are set to follow over whether he stays on for next term.

The 38-year-old has made six appearances, all as a substitute, since joining from Stoke in January on a deal until the end of the season, but has yet to find the back of the net. He missed five games after undergoing appendix surgery in March.

Burnley’s statement also said that as well as left-back Stephen Ward, who Dyche on Sunday confirmed was leaving, and Jonathan Walters, who is retiring due to injury, goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard too would not be having his contract his renewed this summer.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM