Ancelotti reveals major progress in Everton’s bid to tie down star striker

Date published: Friday 6th March 2020 4:10

Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that Dominic Calvert-Lewin is “very close” to agreeing a contract extension with the club.

The 22-year-old striker has been a key asset for the Toffees this season, scoring 15 Premier League goals.

Speaking in a press conference on Friday, Ancelotti said that he is confident Calvert-Lewin will follow in the footsteps of highly-rated defender Mason Holgate, who signed a new five-year deal this week.

Ancelotti said: “Holgate is going to be the future of this club. It’s important for him and for us to renew the contract, to have stability here with this player.

“We are close to Dominic Calvert-Lewin also and I hope he’s going to sign soon. They are talking, they are very close, so soon he’s going to sign. The idea for the future is really clear for us.

“The fact that they are English I think is important for the club, for the structure, because they know better the atmosphere here. But above all they are players with a lot of quality.”

At the other end of the age scale, Ancelotti is also hoping 35-year-old Leighton Baines will stay at Goodison Park for another season.

“There is a possibility,” said the Toffees boss. “We are going to talk with him what he’s going to do. For us, for the club, for me and also I think for his team-mates it will be important to have him also the next season.

“He showed a fantastic attitude in training, in games. He’s really important for us and not only because he’s still a good player and he’s physically good but also he has the experience, the personality that is important for our squad.”

After last weekend’s draw with Manchester United, Everton face another of their rivals for European football this weekend when they travel to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea.

READ MORE: Lampard angry with ‘worst’ injury record as Chelsea absentee list extended

 

 

Ancelotti spent two seasons at Stamford Bridge from 2009 to 2011, winning the Premier League and FA Cup.

He said: “I think it will be an emotional moment for me. I have a fantastic memory of the period that I was there, it was really two unbelievable years. I have a really good memory of everything that happened there and I’m really excited to come back.”

Ancelotti is also looking forward to seeing Frank Lampard, a key player for him during that time and now manager of the Blues.

“I thought that he could be a manager,” said Ancelotti. “He’s going really well, he did well last year. It was not an easy season for Chelsea and I hope for him the best.

“I am really pleased to go to meet him after a long time and to, I don’t know if I can shake the hand, but to meet him it will be nice for me.”

Everton sit 11th in the Premier League table heading into Sunday’s game.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM