Ancelotti resigned as Raphael Varane to Man Utd transfer truths emerge
Carlo Ancelotti is facing a losing battle to persuade Real Madrid bosses to keep Raphael Varane at the Bernabeu for at least another season amid claims a transfer to Manchester United is gathering pace.
The 28-year-old has established himself as one of the top defenders in the game over a decade with Los Blancos. He has made 360 appearances in all competitions, with a bulging trophy cabinet. The France international has won La Liga on three occasions while he has four Champions League winner’s medals.
But with just a year left on his deal, Real are faced with a difficult decision. So far, the France star has rebuffed all attempts to sign an extension. And that will mean that, despite Ancelotti’s wish to keep him, the club will sell him to the highest bidder.
And with demand for the player high, he will likely have three clubs to choose from this summer.
Chelsea are one such club keen on a deal as Thomas Tuchel looks to engineer a title challenge.
They are joining by PSG, with reports in France stating the Ligue 1 giants have ‘made contact’ about a possible move.
However, United are long-term suitors of Varane and are said to be monitoring the situation carefully. United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants a player to partner to Harry Maguire.
Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly do not seem the answer and so Varane is a viable option. Much will depend on the player’s ambition and whether he fancies the challenge of playing in the Premier League.
Indeed, reports in Spain now claim of the three, United are closest to his signing. It’s stated that, despite Sergio Ramos’ exit, he could soon be joined out the door by Varane.
El Larguero director Manu Carreno also expects Varane to depart and claims Real have planned for the possibility.
“Does this [Ramos exit] imply that Real Madrid will no longer sell Varane? The answer is no. If Madrid can sell Varane, they’ll sell him,” Carreno said, via Sport Witness.
“He has one year left, has offers from the Premier League. It seems that the one that is closest is Manchester United and that Ramos’ exit does not imply that Varane stays.
June 17 Transfer Chatter - Trippier to Man Utd, Van de Beek set for Barca and four-way battle for Sergio Ramos
Latest news on Kieran Trippier's possible move to Man Utd, Donny van de Beek set for Barcelona and the four-way battle for Sergio Ramos.
“However, [David] Alaba, [Eder] Militao, Nacho and Vallejo would remain, and Real Madrid would recover him [Vallejo].
“And the question that many ask themselves, with the money of Varane would they make another central? Well, I think Madrid with those four power plants needs money more than another player.”
AS also has an interesting take. They state that renewing with Varane is a priority of Florentino Perez and Ancelotti.
Varane currently earns €6m net per season and is looking for around €12m. However, he knows he could earn that and more with a move to the Premier League. Furthermore, he sees England as a new career challenge.
At 28, Varane also knows this will be his last big contract in the game so wants to maximise his pay-out. They also add he’s ‘received important’ offers from both United and PSG.
PSG refutes Pogba PSG talk
Meanwhile, Presnel Kimpembe says he has not discussed a transfer to PSG with Paul Pogba, but admits he would “welcome” his international team-mate to the Parc des Princes.
Pogba himself quashed talk of a move to Paris earlier this month. The 28-year-old midfielder said he was solely focused on the Euros with France.
“I don’t have [PSG president] Nasser [Al-Khelaifi]’s number,” Pogba told RMC last week.
“My only thought, now, is the Euros. I’m focused.
“I’ve got more experience than before. I’m focused on the present, the Euros.”
The fact remains though that Pogba is entering the final 12 months of his contract next month. That will mean the former Juventus man could speak to interested foreign clubs in January over a pre-contract, free move next summer.
Talk of a move to PSG has emerged with Pogba confirming that United have not approached him about a renewal.
“I have one year left on my contract, everyone knows that,” he added
“There have been no concrete proposals for extensions. I’m still in Manchester.”
READ MORE: No Fernandes blame, as Man Utd told duo must go to fund star signing