Carragher handed reprieve and set to return to Sky Sports

Jamie Carragher convinced Sky Sports he would be able to resist future provocation before they sanctioned his return as a pundit for next season, Press Association Sport understands.

The 40-year-old has been suspended from his role since March, when he spat from his car at another transporting a 14-year-old girl and her father, who had been taunting him about Manchester United’s earlier victory over Liverpool.

Carragher recently met Sky Sports’ managing director Barney Francis to discuss his future with the organisation, and after he demonstrated the extent of his regret it was agreed he would return to his role next month.

The Premier League season starts on August 11, when Carragher can expect his return to punditry to lead to further criticism via social media.

He apologised for the incident in March, when he described it as a “moment of madness” and Sky Sports said that he had fallen “well below the standards we expect”.

A spokesman for the organisation told Press Association Sport on Tuesday: “We’ve spoken to Jamie and reminded him of the standards we expect at Sky Sports.

“He has shown remorse, is hugely apologetic for the offence he caused and has taken the appropriate steps to make sure that the incident will not be repeated.”