Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher has urged the Reds to take the strain off the club’s attacking trio by bringing in two new players this summer.
The goals of Mo Salah, Roberto Fimino and Sadio Mane are driving Jurgen Klopp’s men towards their first top-flight title in 30 years, but Carragher is adamant they are in need of some extra competition.
The European champions surprisingly went down 1-0 at Atletico Madrid on Tuesday night in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.
That defeat appeared to hit Klopp quite hard, given that he has seen his troops go unbeaten in the Premier League this season, and Carragher believes his old side needed better attacking options to come off the bench on the Spanish capital.
Speaking to Viasport, Jan Aage Fjortoft said to Carragher that Liverpool fans believe they do not need to sign Timo Werner or Jadon Sancho , who are valued at £50m and £120m respectively, because they already have the best front three in the world.
Carragher responded: “Yes that could be said but things could change very quickly.
“The big problem for Liverpool is when one of those front three aren’t playing, so Mane has to come off and the player they bring on is Divock Origi.
“He is a Liverpool legend because of what happened last year in the same stadium, the Wanda Metropolitano in the Champion League final, but it’s not quite good enough for the best team in the world.
“Liverpool do need a top attacking player to come in this summer, Sancho or Werner? I’ll take both.”
Werner was on target for RB Leipzig in their 1-0 win at Tottenham on Wednesday night and afterwards ignited speculation that he could move to Anfield this summer.
Meanwhile, Liverpool legend Gary Gillespie has admitted that he did not rate Erling Haaland and wanted Manchester United to sign him. Read more…