Cavani future plunged into fresh doubt as rift with Man Utd staff emerges

Date published: Friday 12th March 2021 1:12 - Jonny Whitfield

Edinson Cavani Man Utd v Southampton February 2021

Manchester United reportedly have more doubts about Edinson Cavani’s future due to concerns over the truth of his recent injuries.

Cavani returned from 17 days out with a muscle issue to face Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park last month.

However, he only lasted 75 minutes and has not featured in either of United’s two matches since.

Serious doubt over the Uruguayan’s Old Trafford future emerged this week following his father’s comments; Luis Cavani said that there is a 60 per cent chance his son will leave at the end of the season.

According to the Manchester Evening News, the 34-year-old’s injury situation has added another layer to those doubts.

Indeed, the newspaper reports that medical staff at United had ‘cleared’ Cavani to play in some of the games he has recently missed.

As such, United officials have become ‘frustrated’, leading to further uncertainty over the player.

The Red Devils have the option to keep Cavani in Manchester for another 12 months.

However, the report notes that United chiefs have had doubts about exercising that option since before his father’s revelation.

Staff concerns over Cavani’s availability have been multiplied by the fact that senior figures have been in ‘awe’ of the striker’s presence on the Carrington training pitches.

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has previously hailed the Uruguayan for his leadership and experience.

Cavani became Paris Saint-Germain’s all-time leading goalscorer before his exit and has used such knowledge to help the younger players at Old Trafford.

However, the Manchester Evening News adds that he is again unlikely to feature against West Ham on Sunday.

Cavani problem not United’s only striker issue

Solskjaer could also be without Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial against the Hammers.

Rashford hobbled off during last weekend’s win over Manchester City, before Martial came off at half time during the 1-1 draw with AC Milan.

Solskjaer told reporters after the Milan draw (via the Daily Mirror): “Anthony, he got a whack on his hip so that’s another forward that we need to scan and have to look at.


Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


“Definitely hope Marcus is back for next Thursday in Milan, I’m not sure if he’ll make Sunday, but fingers crossed because we will need him.

“Edinson I don’t think will be ready for Sunday no.”

READ MORE: Paul Ince talks with a heavy heart as he tips big summer exit at Man Utd

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM