Celtic striker agrees personal terms with Lyon

Date published: Thursday 30th August 2018 10:36

Moussa Dembele TEAMtalk

Lyon are closing in on a deal for Celtic’s Moussa Dembele after agreeing personal terms, according to L’Equipe.

The Ligue 1 transfer window closes on Friday and Lyon are hoping to wrap up a deal for the Hoops forward after confirming their interest in him.

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers has said he wants to keep hold of the 22-year-old striker, but the player’s agent has asked to explore other options for the player, who is under contract until 2020.

The French source claim that Dembele is “close” to Lyon, who will now have to agree a deal with Celtic after reportedly seeing two bids turned down.

Rodgers said this week: “We don’t want to lose Moussa. We make that known as well.

“He’s not one we want to lose, but it’s something that has come up and he and his representatives have asked to explore that, which is natural.

“I’ve heard, I’ve read, I’ve seen for the last two years about at least 20 clubs, of which we’ve had one team who have come to us and asked us about Moussa.

“Even this one here, we haven’t had a concrete offer, but there’s been contact by the club.”

Dembele has scored 51 goals in 94 appearances for Celtic since his arrival from Fulham back in June 2016, but he played only 23 league games last season and has made just one appearance in the Scottish Premiership this time around.

Lyon are looking to replace Mariano Diaz, who rejoined former club Real Madrid in a deal worth around £30million this week.

Lyon could face competition for Dembele’s services with Borussia Dortmund, Schalke and Marseille all believed to be interested.

Dembele missed training at Lennoxtown this week and was instead at Celtic Park with his representatives to discuss his future while his team-mates prepared for the second leg of the tie Europa League tie with Suduva, which stands at 1-1 from the first game in Lithuania last week.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM